Shot Mirror (DIY)

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by PIXIllate »

So, there seems to be a handful of these things on the market for a decent chunk of change and then the DIY approach. Since I had a piece of cedar and I was at Princess Auto here's what I came up with.

Cost $8 for the inspection mirror

Squared up the cedar with a hand plane

Chop into 2x2x2" squares

Cut on a 25 degree angle to make a wedge shape after measuring the rough angle needed on the drip tray

Snipped part of the last section off of the inspection mirror and drilled a hole through the edge of the wedge to pressure fit it into and that's it.

Tinter

#2: Post by Tinter »

Great write up. Are you selling these?

mckolit

#3: Post by mckolit »

Great write up. How is it in use? Is the mirror large enough?

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy »

I love your initiative, and it looks really cool. But my question is, why do you need a hands-free mirror?

I bought a set of three 2.5" diameter mirrors off amazon for $7.50 shipped to my door. Once my basket is ready and engaged on the group, I hold the mirror in one hand and operate the lever with the other. When the shot is flowing well, I put the mirror down and watch the stream directly.
LMWDP #748

jpender

#5: Post by jpender »

How expensive would it be to do this with some sort of small camera? Obviously not for $8.

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Tinter wrote:Great write up. Are you selling these?
Not selling. Just an idea. Pretty simple to knock together.
emradguy wrote:I love your initiative, and it looks really cool. But my question is, why do you need a hands-free mirror?
Doing other things plus hand holding anything will be shaky.

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

mckolit wrote:Great write up. How is it in use? Is the mirror large enough?
Mirror is a perfect size at that distance for a portafilter. Inspection mirrors have a slight magnification factor so they are probably ideal for this sort of thing.
jpender wrote:How expensive would it be to do this with some sort of small camera? Obviously not for $8.
You could mill up a slightly larger cube and then leave a small lip along the bottom edge (like the bottom of a chalkboard) and rest one of those tiny GoPro's on it I suppose.