Short extraction time and early blonding.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Kujako

#1: Post by Kujako »

Having some issues with my Silvia, extraction seems a bit uneven despite my breaking up the grounds using WDT. I'm also seeing blonding earlier in the extraction resulting in a shorter extraction time. The end results are fine frankly, but they can be better. But I'm not sure what to look at. Should I try a finer grind?

thecoffeefield

#2: Post by thecoffeefield »

What's your dosage and output? Also, do you single dose or fill the hopper?

Advertisement
Kujako (original poster)

#3: Post by Kujako (original poster) replying to thecoffeefield »

Using a 21g basket, filled by weight. My scale wont go high enough to measure the output unfortunately. It dislikes the weight of the glass. However I have a timer on the PID (meCoffee) and I'm cutting off at about the half way point most of the time.

MB

#4: Post by MB »

Yes, try grinding finer. That was my reaction before I opened the thread.
LMWDP #472

thecoffeefield

#5: Post by thecoffeefield »

Kujako wrote: However I have a timer on the PID (meCoffee) and I'm cutting off at about the half way point most of the time.
Not sure what you mean by cutting off at about the half way point. I was trying to see how long your extraction is. Definitely grind finer so you wanna reduce your dosage to compensate or even extract longer.

Kujako (original poster)

#6: Post by Kujako (original poster) replying to thecoffeefield »

Extraction time is around 15-20 seconds.

thecoffeefield

#7: Post by thecoffeefield replying to Kujako »

Sounds short to me. You may wanna go for 25 to 35 seconds and grind finer and then take it from there

Advertisement
Kujako (original poster)

#8: Post by Kujako (original poster) replying to thecoffeefield »

That's what I was saying, my goal is 35-40 seconds, but by half of that I'm getting mostly water out. Will try going a few turns finer on the grind and see what difference that makes.

thecoffeefield

#9: Post by thecoffeefield replying to Kujako »

Also at some point you will need a scale. It's extremely important to know your yield/output ratio so if you use 21 gm of coffee and your output is 42 gm then you know 2:1. Different coffees can have different ratios recommended by the roaster.

cmin

#10: Post by cmin »

What grinder? You don't have one listed