Short extraction time and early blonding.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Kujako
Posts: 98
Joined: Aug 14, 2008, 1:14 am

Postby Kujako » Mar 17, 2017, 9:31 pm

Having some issues with my Silvia, extraction seems a bit uneven despite my breaking up the grounds using WDT. I'm also seeing blonding earlier in the extraction resulting in a shorter extraction time. The end results are fine frankly, but they can be better. But I'm not sure what to look at. Should I try a finer grind?

thecoffeefield
Posts: 330
Joined: Jan 28, 2016, 3:52 pm

Postby thecoffeefield » Mar 17, 2017, 9:33 pm

What's your dosage and output? Also, do you single dose or fill the hopper?

Kujako
Posts: 98
Joined: Aug 14, 2008, 1:14 am

Postby Kujako » Mar 17, 2017, 9:57 pm

thecoffeefield wrote:What's your dosage and output? Also, do you single dose or fill the hopper?


Using a 21g basket, filled by weight. My scale wont go high enough to measure the output unfortunately. It dislikes the weight of the glass. However I have a timer on the PID (meCoffee) and I'm cutting off at about the half way point most of the time.

User avatar
MB
Posts: 245
Joined: Apr 26, 2014, 8:01 pm

Postby MB » Mar 17, 2017, 10:33 pm

Yes, try grinding finer. That was my reaction before I opened the thread.
LMWDP #472

thecoffeefield
Posts: 330
Joined: Jan 28, 2016, 3:52 pm

Postby thecoffeefield » Mar 17, 2017, 10:43 pm

Kujako wrote: However I have a timer on the PID (meCoffee) and I'm cutting off at about the half way point most of the time.


Not sure what you mean by cutting off at about the half way point. I was trying to see how long your extraction is. Definitely grind finer so you wanna reduce your dosage to compensate or even extract longer.

Kujako
Posts: 98
Joined: Aug 14, 2008, 1:14 am

Postby Kujako » Mar 17, 2017, 10:48 pm

thecoffeefield wrote:Not sure what you mean by cutting off at about the half way point. I was trying to see how long your extraction is. Definitely grind finer so you wanna reduce your dosage to compensate or even extract longer.


Extraction time is around 15-20 seconds.

thecoffeefield
Posts: 330
Joined: Jan 28, 2016, 3:52 pm

Postby thecoffeefield » Mar 17, 2017, 10:52 pm

Kujako wrote:Extraction time is around 15-20 seconds.


Sounds short to me. You may wanna go for 25 to 35 seconds and grind finer and then take it from there

Kujako
Posts: 98
Joined: Aug 14, 2008, 1:14 am

Postby Kujako » Mar 17, 2017, 11:07 pm

thecoffeefield wrote:Sounds short to me. You may wanna go for 25 to 35 seconds and grind finer and then take it from there


That's what I was saying, my goal is 35-40 seconds, but by half of that I'm getting mostly water out. Will try going a few turns finer on the grind and see what difference that makes.

thecoffeefield
Posts: 330
Joined: Jan 28, 2016, 3:52 pm

Postby thecoffeefield » Mar 17, 2017, 11:21 pm

Kujako wrote:That's what I was saying, my goal is 35-40 seconds, but by half of that I'm getting mostly water out. Will try going a few turns finer on the grind and see what difference that makes.


Also at some point you will need a scale. It's extremely important to know your yield/output ratio so if you use 21 gm of coffee and your output is 42 gm then you know 2:1. Different coffees can have different ratios recommended by the roaster.

cmin
Posts: 776
Joined: Aug 02, 2012, 11:12 pm

Postby cmin » Mar 18, 2017, 12:02 am

What grinder? You don't have one listed

 
Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project