"Real" ristretto tamping technique - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Concentration

Postby Concentration » Feb 13, 2019, 10:43 pm

Hey TomC,

I had tried the Kimbo and from several bags of Filicori Delicato can safely say they are much much fresher than the Kimbo. The Delicato here is destined for a ristetto cup, only way I have tried it. It has the flavors we like and is absolutely the top, best I have ever used for making ristretto.

It is a very forgiving bean as well; small variances on stop times and it is always fresh, complex, with a lot of chocolate flavor going on. The ristretto cups have outstanding mouth feel which gives the coffee that round thick feel, different from the standard fare crema feel I think. If you like the Delicato, give the Essso Masini beans a try too. The are very close second to the Delicato with a slightly drier feel, but that blend also has the sweet complex taste and similar flavor profile as the Delicato. I am getting my 3rd kilo from Amazon this Saturday and looking forward to it.

cheers Larry

Concentration

Postby Concentration » Feb 13, 2019, 10:45 pm

TomC wrote:From one (native) Chicoan to another, thanks :D

Ah, forgot. Thanks for the note above too.
San Francisco, yes.

chipman

Postby chipman » Feb 13, 2019, 10:47 pm

Chico? My BIL just retired from Chico State after 40 years.

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Feb 13, 2019, 11:10 pm

Concentration wrote:Ah, forgot. Thanks for the note above too.
San Francisco, yes.

I will try and near choke up the grind and try again probably in a little bit since my first shot definitely wasn't any kind of ristretto. The Masini I passed on based on price, but I'll keep an eye out for any sales on it.

Not to get too off topic, but yeah, half my family was in Chico before the fire, now relocated to Orland and apparently not planning to rebuild in Chico. But I love that town. We lived a half mile from the covered bridge.

Concentration

Postby Concentration » Feb 13, 2019, 11:46 pm

TomC wrote:I will try and near choke up the grind and try again probably in a little bit since my first shot definitely wasn't any kind of ristretto. The Masini I passed on based on price, but I'll keep an eye out for any sales on it.

Yes, the Masini is 15 bucks more than the Delicato. The Delicato is the One though. I could drop the Masini out of the line up and still win the game (of a satisfying espresso experience). Give me a heads up if you are in the area and maybe I can embarrass myself and fail to impress you.

Just kidding, I'm ready. You are invited to a ristretto with special tamping technique.

TomC wrote: Not to get too off topic, but yeah, half my family was in Chico before the fire, now relocated to Orland and apparently not planning to rebuild in Chico. But I love that town. We lived a half mile from the covered bridge.

yes, a dark period for the area. hope that that part of your family finds what they're looking for now.

Reason: Cleaned up quotes

Hp23

Postby Hp23 » Feb 20, 2019, 1:27 pm

Hp23 here, earlier in the thread I was trying to figure this method out. I roasted some darker beans and have been fiddling with it since. Here's where I've landed.
The darker roast did not do the trick it was no worse or better just a little different.
I switched the la Pavoni lever to a 10gr basket. Grind is just at choke. The temperature of the brew head I found to be the most critical I was maybe not paying attention too it before, 80 to 85c is the sweet spot for my machine. Next the pull profile= light at first maybe 3bar for 20sec until the first few drops exit, increase pressure substantially on the lever and pull the rest of the shot this needs to take another 40 to 60sec or the grind is too course. 10gr coffee = 20gr shot 1:2 ratio, at the end of the pull the group head needs to maintain the 80 to 85c. Now if i've been blessed by the gods, I will have the excellent ristretto I think of this thread - smooth, sweet with a distinct lack of bitter, very nice to my taste and experience. This is my report on the project. And many thanks to Larry who started us all down this exciting rabbit hole in the first place.

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Feb 20, 2019, 9:44 pm

TomC wrote:I took a chance on the Filicori Delicato, and received it today. I'm very impressed with the first shot I tried. It ran fast and short, but made a helluva cappuccino.

The bag stated it was roasted in November 2018, so that's not bad, and at least on par with Kimbo, if not, fresher.

From one (native) Chicoan to another, thanks :D

What profile and temp did you use? No preinfusion and straight to 9 bar I guess?