Rancilio Silvia & Pellini no. 46

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
minnymoony

#1: Post by minnymoony »

Hi,
I have a Rancilio Silvia with the standard portafilter and basket. I bought a Pellini espresso which states that its ground for espresso machines. I tried using 14, 16 and 18 grams in the filter. the coffee takes about 6 seconds to come out and then flows quickly in about another 10-15 seconds to reach ~30ml of coffee per cup (i'm using the double basket). In addition, the shot doesn't have much crema, as far as I can say about the taste it was "wrong" and dilute.

What could be the problem?
What could I do better?

Would a bigger filter help?
Tamp harder?
Maybe the grind is not fine enough?

Thanks

Mochamaker

#2: Post by Mochamaker »

A few things. pre ground coffee is never good for espresso. I would assume it's not ground fine enough for what you have. Try tamping harder and pre-infusion, then pull your shot. Try to get a good burr grinder and buy fresh roasted whole bean coffee and you'll be good to go. I've had a Silvia for years, you can get good espresso out of it, but a good grinder is key.

dan

minnymoony (original poster)

#3: Post by minnymoony (original poster) »

I usually roast and grind on my own. Its just that I was in Italy and wanted to try something else.

Headala

#4: Post by Headala »

Probably intended for a mocha pot, not a pump espresso machine.

xavier

#5: Post by xavier »

I have a Rancilio Silvia without a grinder. I have tried a lot of brands. Most them go too fast. I tried Pellini deccafeinato and it went too fast also, maybe 10 seconds or less. I have found only two brands pre-ground at the moment that make a perfect 25 seconds espresso in my Silvia: Illy (in the three versions red, black and green) and the tasty Mauro Centopercento (100% arabica) that I like very much.

takeshi

#6: Post by takeshi »

(nm)

slipchuck

#7: Post by slipchuck »

I would recommend pressurized portafilter baskets if you want to stick with pre-ground coffee

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Nick Name

#8: Post by Nick Name »

slipchuck wrote:I would recommend pressurized portafilter baskets if you want to stick with pre-ground coffee
And I would recommend throwing them pressurized baskets to the garbage bin if you want to stick with good espressos. :wink: