Rancilio Latte Art Feedback - Newbie

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
sal_maz

#1: Post by sal_maz »

Got my Rancilio Silvia about a month ago and have been playing around with it. I have never pulled espresso or steamed milk prior to getting this machine but I've watched countless videos to understand the process. Today I got something that can somewhat pass for latte art.

My technique has been introduce air until about 90F, submerge and heat to about 130F all while ensuring I have a constant smooth whirlpool.

Looking for feedback and any advice. Thanks!

iploya

#2: Post by iploya »

This is a good start, so now it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

It will be much easier for anyone to give feedback if you post a video of 1) your frothing and 2) your pour.

It's hard to judge just by a photo, but when I get very thin lines like that it's often a frothing issue and the pour is thin and runny. Make sure your initial pour is slow and high enough for the milk to drop below the surface and not shoot up the sides. I see folks sometimes do a spastic swirling motion on the initial fill that I don't find necessary (but I'm not a pro) and that causes a non-uniform, swirled looking palatte whenever I try it. Finally, on the last step of your pour I think you need to pull the pitcher a bit higher on the final draw down for a thinner line through the middle that almost disappears.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

Definitely a good start. I think you've got some pretty good advice so far...and agree the milk might be slightly thin. I'd also recommend doing the design pour in a second stage after laying the canvas. It'll help with definition on the periphery. Try to use a gentle lazy back and forth instead of a rapid wiggle to develop the leaves. You won't get as many, but it'll look a lot nicer.
LMWDP #748