Quickmill Silvano microfoam troubles

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
SushiCat

Postby SushiCat » May 10, 2018, 3:41 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for tips for getting better microfoam on Quickmill Silvano (the one-hole wand/newer version). I can't tell if it's a limitation in the machine's capabilities or my skill (most likely), but I either get cappuccino style foam that sits on top of the drink or foam that's too thin to make any kind of latte art. To get thicker foam I run my want on the surface of milk for the entire steaming duration with almost constant on/off hissing sound. This is not how I've seen it done in multiple microfoam howto videos that I've watched. In the guides it says that you want to hear occasional sound, but for the most time it's quiet and the wand is more submerged. When I try this I get the weak foam that can't be used for latte art. I've also tried releasing all the steam and waiting for the steam light to turn off right before steaming the milk and that seems to help a little, but it's not consistent. Does anyone here own Quickmill SIlvano and is able to get good and consistent microfoam? Please share your tips.

Vig

Postby Vig » May 10, 2018, 7:26 pm

I get decent microform by doing the following:
- turn on the thermoblock with the switch on the back of the machine several minutes before you need to steam
- about a minute or so before you want to steam Flick the toggle switch on the front of the machine until the amber light comes on and then toggle off
- wait about 15 seconds (Amber light will still be illuminated) and then start steaming

I have found that this protocol ensures the thermoblock is up to temperature to the best facilitate efficient steaming

Hope this helps

SushiCat

Postby SushiCat » replying to Vig » May 14, 2018, 1:04 pm

Thanks a lot for this. I got superior results on the very first attempt. In the past my thermoblock switch was always turned on.

Vig

Postby Vig » May 14, 2018, 11:26 pm

Glad to hear that it helped