Pulling an "Allongé"

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bibounette

#1: Post by Bibounette »

Hi H-Bers!

I'm just getting acquainted to the espresso world and so far down the rabbit hole already, it's mind boggling! ;) My SO enjoys the allongé (lungo) and i'm having difficulty getting it to taste decent.

Here's what I do for a regular double shot: 18g in/36 out (roughly) in the recommended 25-30 seconds, but i tend to look at the flow and stop when it starts to really blond. I've been using "Epic Espresso" from 49th Parallel Coffee but recently found a local source for Metropolis Coffee's "Redline Espresso" blend, which i'm actually loving. Both have been used at their post-roast peak.

How do I modify the above recipe to pull an "allongé" or lungo for my man! I'm quite sure it's not simply pulling a longer shot with the same grind etc, right?

I've also tried an americano, where I either, poured the double shot into the hot water, or pulled the shot directly in the cup with water already added. But it just seemed to taste "chemically"...can't find another way to explain it! :)

Any links or recipes/how-tos will be greatly appreciated! :)

happycat

#2: Post by happycat replying to Bibounette »

Welcome

For flavours check out this interactive coffee flavour wheel. You start from the inside and work outward. This helps with narrowing down a flavour.

https://notbadcoffee.com/flavor-wheel-en/

For allonge, use a coarser grind as you put more water through the same coffee

For americano, I make these daily.

The first thing to do is use filtered water. I use a Mavea jug. Eliminate the variable of water flavours.... americano uses way more water.

Second, see if you can identify the flavour you are tasting. If it's a bitterness, you might want to reduce your dose size and grind finer.

Third, the rocky is not a great grinder. You might want to upgrade to something more consistent in its grinding
LMWDP #603

Bibounette (original poster)

#3: Post by Bibounette (original poster) »

Thanks for the tips, happycat!

I'll have to muddle through with the grinder while i save enough for an upgrade. Prior to purchasing it, I had been assured it would adequately pair with a Rocket Appartamento, which I purchased after the grinder. It's not lacking enough to make the whole process frustrating, to be honest. I'm able to pull really good shots and since i'm a cap/latte drinker, my milk drinks are super. I plan on an upgrade next year some time. The Fausto will likely be my choice. Figure Rocket with Rocket should be a winning combo!

That flavor wheel is pretty wild! :D

Cheers!
B

#4: Post by Bibounette (original poster) »

happycat wrote:
The first thing to do is use filtered water. I use a Mavea jug. Eliminate the variable of water flavours.... americano uses way more water.
For what its worth, I was drawing my hot water straight from the Rocket, and that water is filtered using a Brita.

happycat

#5: Post by happycat »

Bibounette wrote:For what its worth, I was drawing my hot water straight from the Rocket, and that water is filtered using a Brita.
Try taking a cup of the water and drink it directly after it has cooled a bit to see if it has any off flavours
LMWDP #603

Sideshow

#6: Post by Sideshow »

For a lungo, you'll grind coarser aiming for a 1:3-4 brew ratio.

#7: Post by Bibounette (original poster) replying to Sideshow »

Figured it had to be a different grind! Thanks!