Puck screen below puck - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Jake_G
Team HB

#11: Post by Jake_G »

To the OP, have you tried the E&B superfine baskets from IMS?

I would be curious to see if the results are similar. I enjoy those baskets, but have no way of removing the mesh to get a comparison of what they would do without it. That said, I have similar observations to you comparing them to other, somewhat similarly-shaped baskets.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

OK31
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by OK31 replying to Jake_G »

I'm on a self imposed mission and raised the prospect of filter paper on the bottom unbeknownst to me this has been discussed. So my question now is how do you find these e&b baskets and would they fit an LMLM? I use the stock 14 or depending on beans a 17 so suspecting a 14/16 g superfine should suffice most of the time. Wondering if paper filter is more work than necessary if this accomplishes same or similar results?

Jake_G
Team HB

#13: Post by Jake_G replying to OK31 »

E&B is a special project/offshoot brand of IMS. These baskets can be found on Amazon, at WLL, or anywhere else where IMS products are sold.

Here is their landing page:
https://www.eb-lab.coffee/new-products- ... b702th24sf

I have the 26 and 28 versions and like them quite a bit. They will work just fine for your LMLM.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

OK31
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by OK31 replying to Jake_G »

Great, thanks a lot. Do you feel these would be similar/same to using a paper filter? Understandably paper is more fine/less porous but have you compared results from both for any amount of time?

Jake_G
Team HB

#15: Post by Jake_G »

I have not used paper filters, so I cannot comment.

They (the E&B superfine baskets) require a somewhat finer grind than a similarly shaped basket (espresso parts HQ14 ridged) does at the same dose, so I would say there is a change, but I believe paper filters create more of a change.
LMWDP #704

OK31
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by OK31 »

Thanks, makes sense. I think for what I'm trying to test this is a different variable I'm not ready to introduce yet it great to know. I guess these have a place in some bean use.