Puck prep study - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DamianWarS

#41: Post by DamianWarS »

one_good_coffee wrote:When you use it you can feel and see that's it's too big. You need to be pretty careful to stir in a circular motion and from bottom to top to end up with something that looks better than when you do nothing.

I'm not that surprised. The tool feels great in the hand, which to me is the main explanation to why people love it, but 0.7mm with big stuff at the end, compared to tiny particules of coffee?
I can't see it making things worse unless it's compacting coffee or leaving large voids. even with larger endpoints, it should still help to break up at the very least larger clumps. People who have grinders that do a lot of clumping probably do see a difference but I would think it has its limitations that a more precision tool can surpass.

rrosini

#42: Post by rrosini »

What does LWW mean?

DamianWarS

#43: Post by DamianWarS replying to rrosini »

assuming you mean from this post referring to LWW's blind shaker.

LWW stands for Lynn Webber Workshops or now known just as Weber Workshops. you can see a more detailed thread about the LWW blind shaker here.

"Lyn Weber Workshops" (lynweber.com) was named after its founders Douglas Weber and Craig Lyn and they had a logo that incorporated a rotated "L" on top of a "W". I don't know what happened to Lyn but the domain lynweber.com is no longer active and weberworkshops.com seems to have taken its place with a logo almost identical but substituting the "L" with another "W", I suppose for "Weber Workshops" (so I guess it's WW, not LWW).

The blind shaker in question can be found at weber workshops website here and a youtube video of it being used here. the guy in the video is Douglas Weber and if you notice the blind shaker he is using has the LWW logo on it sporting the letters "LW".

baldheadracing
Team HB

#44: Post by baldheadracing »

They split, but are both selling some of the same products. The "Lyn" part is now at https://craiglyn.com/
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

rrosini

#45: Post by rrosini »

DamianWarS wrote:assuming you mean from this post referring to LWW's blind shaker.

LWW stands for Lynn Webber Workshops or now known just as Weber Workshops. you can see a more detailed thread about the LWW blind shaker here.

"Lyn Weber Workshops" (lynweber.com) was named after its founders Douglas Weber and Craig Lyn and they had a logo that incorporated a rotated "L" on top of a "W". I don't know what happened to Lyn but the domain lynweber.com is no longer active and weberworkshops.com seems to have taken its place with a logo almost identical but substituting the "L" with another "W", I suppose for "Weber Workshops" (so I guess it's WW, not LWW).

The blind shaker in question can be found at weber workshops website video. the guy in the video is Douglas Weber and if you notice the blind shaker he is using has the LWW logo on it sporting the letters "LW".

Wow, what through response. I appreciate it very much. I've been looking at the Weber Workshop site. Specifically the HG-1.

DamianWarS

#46: Post by DamianWarS »

RapidCoffee wrote:Stéphane Ribes recently posted a puck prep technique study on the (private) Decent Espresso web forum. I believe his findings deserve a wider audience, and he graciously gave me permission to repost them on H-B.

video
video showing visual uniformity of extractions

slide updated: further testing shows less consistency with no distribution

Notes:
* Visual uniformity of the extraction was rated in a poll of forum members (using the video without any technique labeling).
* Modified Rao "blooming" extraction profile incorporates a 20s pause after preinfusion.
* The Hog tool introduces an array of small channels into the puck, speeding up "pre"infusion. AFAIK it was first mentioned several years ago in a Perger "teaser" on BH.
* "Raking" the puck is the Decent Espresso term for a partial WDT (only stirring the top 25-50% of the puck). No, it doesn't make sense to me either.

Stéphane is one of the brightest lights on Decent Diaspora. I keep hoping he'll find the time to participate directly on H-B. :-)
very cool but unfortunately anecdotal because 1 shot isn't enough to determine the results.