Puck paper purveyors?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
GDM528

#1: Post by GDM528 »

Is there a supplier for filter paper cut specifically for espresso baskets?

I happen to have a laser cutter (like, who doesn't?) that I'm using to precisely cut down Aeropress filter paper - one size for the bottom of the basket and another for the top of the grounds. The cutting process is kinda laborious, so I'd rather just buy them already cut to the proper sizes.

Using these papers is something that once I started, can't stop using. The upper paper keeps the shower screen immaculately clean, and the lower paper keeps the fines out of my shot, eliminates the jets, and increases the resistance just enough to allow a slightly coarser grind setting. Doesn't prevent channeling, but it does suppress the trauma if it does happen.

They only cost a few cents each (ignoring my labor), so they get tossed after the shot. Actually speeds up my workflow and reduces water consumption by eliminating the post-shot cleanup process. They work so well (at least for me) that I'm mystified why someone hasn't picked up this biz opportunity - or perhaps my product searching skills are failing me?

Auctor

#2: Post by Auctor »

I use the Cafelat Robot filters and they work flawlessly. Cheaper in the short run compared to a metal disc, and dramatically reduces cleanup. Not sure about "improvement" in the cup, though. More urban legend than fact-based (my opinion).

https://www.cafelatstore.com/products/r ... 9319&_ss=r

GDM528 (original poster)

#3: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

Thanks for the link! Alas, shipping to my location (U.S.) is kinda insane: $4 for the papers + $27 shipping LOL

They instruct to rinse before using... really? Wazzup with that: rinse out chemical residues in the paper, or get it to adhere to the grounds?

Auctor

#4: Post by Auctor »

I'm happy to facilitate a group buy in the US if there's interest.

DamianWarS

#5: Post by DamianWarS »

GDM528 wrote:Is there a supplier for filter paper cut specifically for espresso baskets?

I happen to have a laser cutter (like, who doesn't?) that I'm using to precisely cut down Aeropress filter paper - one size for the bottom of the basket and another for the top of the grounds. The cutting process is kinda laborious, so I'd rather just buy them already cut to the proper sizes.

Using these papers is something that once I started, can't stop using. The upper paper keeps the shower screen immaculately clean, and the lower paper keeps the fines out of my shot, eliminates the jets, and increases the resistance just enough to allow a slightly coarser grind setting. Doesn't prevent channeling, but it does suppress the trauma if it does happen.

They only cost a few cents each (ignoring my labor), so they get tossed after the shot. Actually speeds up my workflow and reduces water consumption by eliminating the post-shot cleanup process. They work so well (at least for me) that I'm mystified why someone hasn't picked up this biz opportunity - or perhaps my product searching skills are failing me?
You can go to a craft store or online and get a 2.25in punch to cut filter paper material down to the right size (like this) and for the top get a puck screen like a bplus. I actually have a 2.5in punch to make aeropress filters, a 2.25in for 58mm baskets and I'm going to get a 2in for 52mm baskets (for my picopresso).

nsgymd
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by nsgymd »

GDM528 (original poster)

#7: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

DamianWarS wrote:You can go to a craft store or online and get a 2.25in punch to cut filter paper material down to the right size (like this) and for the top get a puck screen like a bplus. I actually have a 2.5in punch to make aeropress filters, a 2.25in for 58mm baskets and I'm going to get a 2in for 52mm baskets (for my picopresso).
Thanks for the tip. I got the most hits using "circle punch" or "circle cutter". Imperial measurements seem to dominate the offerings - but the basket I'm trying to fit is metric, so not a precise fit. I'm currently using a 18g ridgeless VST basket, for which the ideal sizes are 55mm for the bottom and 59mm for the top - minus an eeensy bit from the kerf of the laser cutter.

ohwhen

#8: Post by ohwhen »

I think it would be slightly more cumbersome than a punch cutter but you can also look for "circle cutters" that are adjustable.

DamianWarS

#9: Post by DamianWarS »

GDM528 wrote:Thanks for the tip. I got the most hits using "circle punch" or "circle cutter". Imperial measurements seem to dominate the offerings - but the basket I'm trying to fit is metric, so not a precise fit. I'm currently using a 18g ridgeless VST basket, for which the ideal sizes are 55mm for the bottom and 59mm for the top - minus an eeensy bit from the kerf of the laser cutter.
I got the tip from Lance Hendrick (at about 3:50) he says he's using a 2.5in punch but that's a mistake (2.5in is exactly an AP filter size) he clairifies in the comments that he's actually using a 2.25in. I don't know how accurate they are to 2.25in and maybe it's just imperial rounding but broadly fits most 58mm baskets. If they had a tester in a store you could just punch a circle out and see if it would fit.

wkmok1

#10: Post by wkmok1 »

Another way is to use the AP filter as is. Form it by "tamping" into an empty basket. The excess paper will curl up around the tamper and the result should look like an upside down beer bottle cap. Place the formed filter on top of the puck. I usually form a stack of 4 filters at a time.
Winston