Puck paper purveyors? - Page 6

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
GDM528 (original poster)

#51: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

Okay, some high flow resistance paper is in my future...

It would be interesting to try this in a 'layer cake' three-paper stack: Filter paper shot forensics

My initial guess is that it will go badly, since the 2.5um paper will have a significantly higher flow resistance than the coffee grounds. On the other hand, the AeroPress paper I've been using mid-puck is largely transparent to the flow resistance - but seems very effective at stopping top-to-bottom channels from forming.

jedovaty

#52: Post by jedovaty »

ohwhen wrote:I think it would be slightly more cumbersome than a punch cutter but you can also look for "circle cutters" that are adjustable.
I picked up one of these since the ability to change sizes was appealing, plus they are more compact, easier to store, slightly less expensive, and have replaceable blades.
Would not recommend:
1. Fiddly
2. Leaves a hole in the middle of the paper (and to avoid the hole makes the cut more challenging)
3. Slow
4. Not easy to do more than two filters at once

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#53: Post by Milligan »

I ordered a pack of the Aieve papers on Amazon. They seem to be the generic ones that are sold under a few names. I've compare them with the Aeropress filters once I get them on Monday.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#54: Post by Milligan »

I've been through several dozen of the generic papers and they seem great so far. I don't see a reason for me to cut Aeropress anymore. They act as intended with a little less resistance than the Aeropress. Can't beat the price.

luckydragon

#55: Post by luckydragon »

Has anyone tried out the Normcore papers and whether they'd fit into a 18g 58mm VST basket?

Mad Scientist

#56: Post by Mad Scientist replying to luckydragon »

I'm using those. Fits perfect in my 16g VST.
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

medegraa

#57: Post by medegraa »

I get mine from Good Brothers coffee. They have several sizes for different baskets. I think shipping is reasonable too.

https://goodbrotherscoffee.com/collecti ... -200-count

Felice

#58: Post by Felice »

I ran out of the lab papers I had that fit my IMS very precisely and found some aeropress filters in a drawer. I have found that as long as I run a bit of water through the group head with the paper in place, then dab it out, it works great for me with no cutting down to size. I'm using a 58mm basket.

GDM528 (original poster)

#59: Post by GDM528 (original poster) replying to Felice »

Just tried it myself. Simply wetting the Aeropress paper doesn't settle into place as easily, whereas filling the basket with a small amount of water will automagically press down the paper flush with the bottom of the basket:

I'm a little concerned about the ridges around the sidewalls, but perhaps a firm tamp will mitigate any channeling along the outer edges.

ReignDrops

#60: Post by ReignDrops »

I use a dry goodbrothers bottom paper filter. Like another poster mentioned, wetting is only necessary with an imperfect fitting paper. No top paper for me as I get bad side channeling using one.