Publix milk and occasional strange bubbles

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
lbdina

#1: Post by lbdina »

I'm pretty good at steaming milk and can usually get nice microfoam for latte art. I usually use Publix 2% milk. Every once in awhile, I get a gallon of milk that bubbles up like crazy no matter what I do. I'll stop steaming, but bubbles keep developing even after the steam nozzle is turned off. Very odd.

This morning, I did one latte with the offending Publix milk, which exhibited the problem. This is the worst gallon I have ever had and the entire gallon was impossible to foam correctly. Then, I did a second latte, using a different brand and got perfect microfoam. Same technique, same time, etc. I'm no longer using Publix brand.

I'm positive it is the Publix milk. Some gallons foam fine and some don't. I'm curious if anyone knows the cause? The milk was not even close to expiration and tastes fine. It must be the processing, additives (A & D), how it is homogenized, or something like that. Anybody know?

Thx, Lou

Clint Orchuk

#2: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Happens to us once in a while. No idea why. We just take the whole batch back to the store and get a load with a different date. The milk tastes fine, just won't steam well.

lbdina (original poster)

#3: Post by lbdina (original poster) »

Thanks, Clint. Interesting that you have the problem with larger batches and that it is by date. Having a coffee shop, you use a LOT more milk than I do. Publix supplies milk from different plants, so I am wondering if the issue is related to a specific facility, or perhaps just variation in time and temp during pasteurization, amount of added vitamin A/D, etc.

I sent Publix a note and if they provide a plausible response, I'll post it here. There is zero doubt in my mind that specific batches of milk are the issue. We'll see what they say.

Lou

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by emradguy »

In many food producing industries (milk included) there are things manufacturers do to their product to maintain seasonal consistency, because the cows diet and physiology varies at different times of the year. Sometimes it's a batch you have difficulty with, sometimes it's a particular brand in a particular season. So, sometimes it helps to change brands. What other milk to try is regional, so I can't help you from Houston.
LMWDP #748

lbdina (original poster)

#5: Post by lbdina (original poster) »

Thanks, Ron.

I have changed brands - we'll see if they have the same issue with specific batches. So far so good. :)

Lou