Process for multiple milk based drinks

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Bandini

#1: Post by Bandini » Jun 11, 2019, 3:11 am

Hi all

I am looking for some guidance on the correct process for making multiple milk based drinks in a row.
Let's say I have 6 friends round for coffee (let's pretend I have 6 friends anyway!), and I am going to be making them all flat whites.
What would you do step by step?

Do you pull shot after shot and then use a large pitcher to make all the milk?

Or pull a couple and steam enough milk just for two, then move onto the next two?

Thanks very much

Owen

I have an ECM Mechanika Profi.

lagoon

#2: Post by lagoon » Jun 11, 2019, 3:22 am

Yeah best to do them in twos.
Unless you have an absolute beast of a machine, steaming a really large jug is going to be difficult.

Also ask up front if anyone wants short/long blacks as those are quicker and easier to bang out.

Bandini

#3: Post by Bandini » Jun 11, 2019, 3:34 pm

Thanks. I'll just have to polish my routine a bit more.

MNate

#4: Post by MNate » Jun 11, 2019, 8:07 pm

I've also taken to splitting the shots with a double-spouted portafilter and making two 6-oz drinks at a time. This equates to a higher milk:espresso ratio than I use for my own drinks but I find most casual drinkers prefer more milk (as I used to). Also many are really just after a polite taste anyway and if they want another, great, perhaps I'll even have them try a different bean in their next cup.

You could feasibly do four glasses on one pitcher of milk this way (two shots of espresso), but I haven't had to resort to that. I might actually try it next week though... I can't imagine getting the milk right across all that and would definitely need to do the pouring milk between two pitchers to keep the microfoam mixture right... hmm... something to try...

lancealot

#5: Post by lancealot » Jun 11, 2019, 9:03 pm

I make them 2 at a time. I have acquired a few 12oz and 20oz steaming pitchers. These make it easier to bang out all the drinks and do dishes later. I didn't buy them all at once but I am frankly surprised how many I have. I like the Barista Basics ones. You can get away with about 4-6oz of milk in a 12oz pitcher and 8-12oz in the 20oz. Caveat, I think my pitchers are 20oz, they might be 32 :shock:

With that outta the way, here is what I do:

Pour the milk for both drinks into the larger steaming pitcher.*
Have an empty smaller pitcher on standby.
Make shot one, set it aside.
Make shot two, while the shot is pouring, steam milk for both drinks in the large pitcher.
Use "milk sharing" technique to pour milk between the large and small pitchers in sequence to make both drinks.
Serve them.
Start over.
*having lots of pitchers means you can stage the milk for 6 drinks in 3 large pitchers and you won't have to do dishes / rinse things between rounds of drinks.

Look up "milk sharing." It takes practice. In the home, as opposed to the cafe, it can be very hard to develop a good technique and keep practiced. I get better around the holidays as I get more practice. Thanksgiving is a train wreck but by New Years I am dialed-ish.
Search the web for videos of Dritan Alsela. Lots to learn through observation.

Bandini

#6: Post by Bandini » Jun 11, 2019, 11:11 pm

MNate wrote:I've also taken to splitting the shots with a double-spouted portafilter and making two 6-oz drinks at a time.
This is definitely something I had considered, although my cups are mainly 7.5 oz at the moment.
But with a 32oz pitcher I could potentially make 4 doing the , pull 2, set aside, pull 2 more while steaming way.

Bandini

#7: Post by Bandini » Jun 11, 2019, 11:18 pm

lancealot wrote: Look up "milk sharing." It takes practice. In the home, as opposed to the cafe, it can be very hard to develop a good technique and keep practiced. I get better around the holidays as I get more practice. Thanksgiving is a train wreck but by New Years I am dialed-ish.
Search the web for videos of Dritan Alsela. Lots to learn through observation.
Thanks for that, I'll look that up.

Bandini

#8: Post by Bandini » Jun 13, 2019, 7:06 am

lancealot wrote:Look up "milk sharing."
Just a heads up, don't Google this at work, as it brought up an awful lot of videos of women breastfeeding!! :shock:

lancealot

#9: Post by lancealot » Jun 13, 2019, 8:40 am

You don't need google, you can look it up on home barista.

Pouring 2 lattes from a single pitcher of milk

iploya

#10: Post by iploya » Jun 14, 2019, 6:56 am

Interesting. I guess I sort of assumed that the milk needs to be done one drink - one pitcher at a time. That's how I have always done it. Because even well-steamed milk (I think) has a density gradient that would make it challenging to pour 2 successive designs.

When I saw the question I was more thinking about workflow in terms of one's espresso machine -- in particular, single or double boiler. The single boiler you need more time for it to return to temperature between extractions and so I could see that affecting your workflow if you're trying to please 6 thirsty and caffeine-deprived people at once. I'm not sure how you optimize that.
--AB