Problems with my new Rancilio Silvia - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Daniel N. (original poster)

#41: Post by Daniel N. (original poster) »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply and the "links".... I can always count on you!

Happy Holidays!

Daniel

#42: Post by Daniel N. (original poster) »

Hi all,

Just re-ordered my regular supply of Black Cat from Intelligentsia Roasting and to my surprise it shows up today. Five 1lb bags... this must be a mistake since I only ordered two. Turns out it is a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law and my order will arrive tomorrow. So, I will end up with seven 1lb bags of Black Cat. Soooo, how do I keep the seven bags of beans fresh as possible?

Happy Holidays!

Thanks, Daniel

HB
Admin

#43: Post by HB »

The Coffees' forum FAQs and Favorites has suggestions. Seven pounds is a lot, I'd freezer half in Mason jars and give the other half away.
Dan Kehn

#44: Post by Daniel N. (original poster) »

Hi Dan,

I just received a pressure-sensing portafilter and I am ready to adjust the BAR pressue. Based on my first reading my Silvia is set at 9.5 BAR. I want to lower it to 8.5 BAR and test the results.

Regarding the Rancilio Silvia Expansion/OPV Valve. Can I adjust it while it is under pressure OR should I adjust the valve without any pressure and then turn it back on to test? I would loosen the barbed fitting one quarter turn at a time. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel

HB
Admin

#45: Post by HB »

Unplug it before getting your hands even near the machine's interior. Water + electricity = danger of electrocution. Don't just turn it off at the switch, unplug it.
Dan Kehn

#46: Post by Daniel N. (original poster) »

Hi Dan,

Thanks! Don't worry, I will unplug the machine. After reading "Reducing Silvia's brew pressure" under Modifications, it seems to lower the pressure I will have to add a second gasket to the fitting. This gasket seems to be a brass "O" ring gasket. My experience tells me that I should use two new gaskets. Anyway, I will have to wait until next week before I can order the gasket(s).

Best regards, Daniel

jesawdy

#47: Post by jesawdy »

Daniel N. wrote:After reading "Reducing Silvia's brew pressure" under Modifications, it seems to lower the pressure I will have to add a second gasket to the fitting. This gasket seems to be a brass "O" ring gasket. My experience tells me that I should use two new gaskets. Anyway, I will have to wait until next week before I can order the gasket(s).
Daniel-

If you have the new Silvia, it is adjustable, no washer/gasket needed. The copper washer is for hacking the OPV in older Silvias. The new Silvia has only been available the later part of this year, but the OPV has appeared in some Silvias since about Nov 2005 (if you have the one with the new drip tray design, you definitely have a new one).
Jeff Sawdy

JimG

#48: Post by JimG »

Daniel -

It may help you to see how the new valve is put together.

Some photos here.

Jim

#49: Post by Daniel N. (original poster) »

Jeff,

Thanks for the info and the links! I purchased my Silvia last month, so it should have the new adjustable valve.

Hi Jim,

The pics really help me understand the new OPV valve. It looks pretty straight forward to adjust... I will carefully open up Miss Silvia tomorrow.
PS: I should receive my PID kit tomorrow via USPS. :wink:

Many thanks,

Daniel

#50: Post by Daniel N. (original poster) »

Hi Folks,

Finally I am getting really good shots from Miss Silvia and Rocky combo just in time for the holidays! Here is how it has come together for me.

First, practicing with fresh beans (mostly Black Cat from intelligentsiacoffee.com). Then find the zero-point on the grinder... my Rocky was way off the mark. The range that works best for me is between 8-10. Next was the volume & distribution of the grind in the portafilter, for me slightly under filling worked best and tamping at 30 lbs. My best results is with an 18 gram triple ridgeless portafilter basket (Synessso Basket).

Next was adjusting the Silvia pressure from 9.5 BAR to 8.5 BAR ... this made a big improvement in consistent shots... maybe I was just getting better. The big break through was the PID Kit for my Silvia... with the correct temparture, no more temperature surfing and pulling a good shot now easier than ever for me. (Thank you Jim!)

I could not have done this without the help and support of all of you in this forum and the info from posted links to other forums and people that love espresso!

Many thanks, Daniel

PS: Next step for me is "latte art".