Problems with latte art

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
eduardo_sousa

#1: Post by eduardo_sousa »

Hi,

I'm using a low-end machine with pressurized portafilter and started two weeks ago to try the latte art.
I'm aware of the basic steps and I have seen a lot of videos, including this but no success at all drawing latte. It always gets too thick to draw (that maybe is an air issue, but I even started to use a fork for better mixing it after frothing)

I filmed it so maybe you guys can help me with the most critic parts.
I'm using this milk:

200ml : 9.1g carbs, 7.1g proteins and 8g of fat, which 5.4g are saturated.

PS: I know I must use the right jug, but I can't find it here, already ordered online.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by emradguy »

Milk texture is one of your biggest issues, but you also need to practice more. Get the pitcher spout closer to the surface and start trying to lay down art sooner...when the cup is about 1/2 full. Another thing that will help you immensely is to get a bowl shaped cup. The curvature does most of the work in forming the arcs you see in the basic rosetta and tulip patterns.
LMWDP #748

MNate

#3: Post by MNate »

Yup, get super close to the surface of the coffee to get the milk to stay at the top. That's why you need to tip the cup so much so you are right close to the surface and therefore another reason a big round cup helps.

MB

#4: Post by MB »

Yes, closer spout to surface so it can glide across the surface, but still flowing with speed, get lower much sooner, wider & shorter cup especially in the beginning. Maybe a little less air in your steamed milk, so it's less foamy and more like thick paint (or at least closer to it).
LMWDP #472

eduardo_sousa (original poster)

#5: Post by eduardo_sousa (original poster) »

Thank you all for the attention, I'm doing some of the things that have been said and got some progress already: less thick draw line.
Next step: buy smaller and larger cup.

Last latte

Montrealer

#6: Post by Montrealer »

I dont know if its just the camera angle/glare but the top looks really foamy to me.

If you dont incorporate your foam properly during steaming, sometimes swirling alone will not be sufficient to blend the foam into the milk.

If that is the case, try pouring from one pitcher to another to help mix the foam and get an even milk texture from "top to bottom"

eduardo_sousa (original poster)

#7: Post by eduardo_sousa (original poster) replying to Montrealer »

I think that the texture is getting almost an A, but I'll do this. One thing I think may be the problem is the pitcher height, because I've noticing that always when people get the drawing time the jug is at 80 degrees (not temperature). With a too small jug I only get this angle at the very end of the pouring. Does it actually make sense?

This is the video of my last trial:
I'd appreciate if you guys could keep criticizing it.

MB

#8: Post by MB »

Yes, maybe the shape of your milk pitcher is not good for art. Try with a paper cup and pinch the edge into a spout shape. See if that makes a difference.
LMWDP #472

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by emradguy »

I agree the foam appears to layer on top. Once you are able to get your hands on a good pitcher, you'll be able to flip he milk back and forth a couple of times to get it better incorporated. Remember, you're looking for the consistency of paint throughout the entire volume of milk. Then once you've got that, use the dedicated milk pitcher for pouring.
LMWDP #748

timoseewho

#10: Post by timoseewho »

i'm not sure if this makes a difference, but is there any reason you're using a moka pot as a pitcher..?