Problem with Grinder, Espresso Machine, or Me?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Jonytsunami

#1: Post by Jonytsunami »

Hi,

I have a very basic setup -

Graef Conical Burr Grinder - 25 settings - https://www.amazon.es/Graef-CM702EU-Mol ... 00EO26GGC/

Cecotec Power Espresso - 20 bar - https://www.amazon.es/Cecotec-Power-Esp ... 0763N7WMP/

After trying to dial in my bean, I came to a seemingly unsolvable issue - Between two settings on my burr grinder, either my espresso extraction is too fast (leading to a sour taste), or not at all. I have kept dose, tamp, and brew temp (as much as possible) as constant as I could, but my first thought is that I would have to upgrade to a more expensive grinder, containing micro-settings that I could more effectively dial in the beans.

At the same time, the espresso machine is 50 euro and could easily not apply correct pressure/temp to the bean, causing the taste to be off, or not being able to push through the portafilter.

Has anyone experienced this kind of issue or have any advice on troubleshooting?

Please let me know -
Jon

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by emradguy »

I'd say the problem lies at least with both the machine and grinder.

You've described the inherent problem with any stepped grinder - particularly one that has only 25 steps.

I've not heard of a machine before that sells for only 20€ and makes drinkable espresso. In fact, I would guess it has a pressurized portafilter, making the grind setting less important. The 20bar spec they give is advertising mumbo jumbo. Espresso is extracted at about 8-9 bars in most electric machines. To get even marginal pressure and temperature control people typically have to spend over 300€ to get something like a Gaggia Classic.

Next possible spoiler in your process chain is beans. If what you have wasn't roasted within the past couple of weeks, it'll make it all that much more difficult to pull a shot.
Could it also be your technique? Sure, but I think even those of us with many years of experience would find it impossible to get a good shot with your setup.
LMWDP #748

erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

Both the grinder and machine aren't very good for espresso.

nuketopia

#4: Post by nuketopia »

Unfortunately, I don't think either device is adequate to the job. You might have better luck with this kind of espresso machine using pods. While I don't think you have to spend a bundle to make good espresso, there is a level equipment capability required to do the minimum job.

Or perhaps look into a quality grinder and an Aeropress or a pour-over brewer and a nice scale, which can make wonderful coffee.

Lorenzotti Italy

#5: Post by Lorenzotti Italy »

Both but my experience is that it is more important to have a good grinder than a good coffee machine. You can get decent grinders used for around $200-$300 and new for around $400.

After this you can start saving for a good coffee maker.

HH

#6: Post by HH »

This may be inconsequential as I don't know the dose you are currently using, but have you tried increasing dose to reduce flow rate? If you are using 18g at the moment and trying to get 36g out in 30 seconds, try upping the dose to 20g and aiming for 40g out in 30s. It may do nothing to help, but if it tides you over with something drinkable whilst you decide on your next step it might be worth a go!
Henry

mokava

#7: Post by mokava »

I would try to eliminate some variables to get control of what's possible with your setup and gauge your expectations. Home espresso often seems like a project, here are some ideas I've tried when too was faced with similar setup at some point. Hope this could be helpful in your journey too.

Eliminate your machine:
- try just boiling some water in a pot
- measure the temperature
- measure the ground coffee
- brew in a warm cup sans filter, kinda Turkish style
- variate the temperature, grind, beans for general idea of taste range
- alternatively, try the moka pot, if have any. Oh, well, that's a system on its own, but could be fun too

Not sure if there's an accurate way to measure the effective brewing temperature in your machine. Maybe, try the finest grind and the hard tamp so the puck is dense yet flowable, then stick a fast thermometer into the resulting wet puck.

Eliminate the grinder:
- try to grind at a good coffee bean selling store, if any in your area. It's also a good social chance, they may give advice too, free shots to taste :)
- alternatively, buy a pre-ground espresso fine brick from a well-known brand. These are usually not too expensive vs whole beans, should be vacuum packed
- pull your shots and vary your tamping

Have fun in your journey!