Pressure profiling after dialing in... Suggestions? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Altair (original poster)

#21: Post by Altair (original poster) »

What did work amazingly well was a last ditch effort, I put the machine into manual mode and used the flow speed as a guide to ramp up pressure, this was the same dial in procedure as standard but with a longer ratio ( same grind and time) and this was different but equally good to my stand pressure profile ( preinfuse 9 bar then finish with 5bars)

Gorgeous shot! Well balanced and a good amount of notes came through. I went back to my standard profile once more, changed the ratio to do one final comparison, with both dialed in at 1:3 I could say that the manual flow profiling shot was better balanced and more enjoyable as a draink while the standard 9bar to 5bar was more expressive and better represented the potential of this bean, but not as enjoyable as a while drink.

Lots to think about...... Profile to be set at beginning.... Can affect both expression and balance targets whith a compromise in mind....

I keep going back to the same notion I had last week, I need to settle on three coffees from consistent roasters for at least six month to get all of this sorted in my mind. I am going to park pressure profiling for now, but definitely has tremendous potential to help achieve a better shot if we can summerize the effects and determine a set of rules.

Altair (original poster)

#22: Post by Altair (original poster) »

BaristaBob wrote:I presume this is on your R9 One? Is this a 50 second extraction? And how much in the cup?

Sorry I missed your question. Yes this was on the R9, no it was a 30 something extraction, first was a 1:2 the last was 1:3.

I had experimented some more and at this point I think the idea of pressure profiling, although fun, takes away more than it adds. Except for the most dedicated espresso diehards with an appetite for experimentation I would not put much hope on using profiles to get better or different extractiond, I am not saying it's impossible by any stretch, just that the added effort and complexity in the dial in process eliminates the possibility of its use except in a professional environment maybe.

For the rest of us, my recommendation for someone with my level of experience is to find a single profile that works and stick with it. Mine is 3bar for 4 seconds, 9 bars for 14, then five for 25. I can't see myself revisiting pressure or flow profiling for many years. The areas of improvement in bean selection, technique, and standard variables are far more impactful and straightforward.

I assume I am going to feel the same about variable rpm on grinders, ignoring that as well.