Pressure-measuring portafilter for La Spaziale?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jeffg2020

#1: Post by jeffg2020 »

Can someone recommend a PF that will measure pressure at the group head? It's for a La Spaz Lucca a53. The gauge has 9 bars but shots are thin/weak.

Thx, Jeff

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Make one. We have several threads on the site for DIY pressure portafilters. Problem you will run into is your portafilter size. The ScaceII is for 58mm. Do a search for 'pressure gauge portafilter' and you will get several option.

Eliminating needle flutter of DIY portafilter pressure gauges
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#3: Post by mivanitsky »

How is your water?

jeffg2020 (original poster)

#4: Post by jeffg2020 (original poster) replying to mivanitsky »

Good, I think. I use Poland Spring in the bottle, w/ a FloJet.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#5: Post by mivanitsky »

No other obvious changes in your coffee or workflow? Same issue on both of the machines listed in your profile, or just the Spaz? Is your group clean? Tried a different grinder? Pressure issues with normal readings would be rather unlikely. Might be possible if gauge pressure is measured upstream from a clogged gicleur, if that machine has one. That said, I'm actually surprised that no one has marketed Scaces in smaller sizes. 53 and 49mm baskets are very common.

jeffg2020 (original poster)

#6: Post by jeffg2020 (original poster) »

mivanitsky wrote:No other obvious changes in your coffee or workflow? Same issue on both of the machines listed in your profile, or just the Spaz? Is your group clean? Tried a different grinder? Pressure issues with normal readings would be rather unlikely. Might be possible if gauge pressure is measured upstream from a clogged gicleur, if that machine has one. That said, I'm actually surprised that no one has marketed Scaces in smaller sizes. 53 and 49mm baskets are very common.
No changes: same grinder, beans, workflow. This just pertains to the La Spaz. The issue developed suddenly. Consistently get 9 bars during extraction.

I'm assuming the gauge measures pressure at the pump. My tentative (amateur) conclusion is the issue must be downstream from there. I'm using Chris' Coffee's fancy aftermarket shower screen & baskets but the problem started way after I purchased them.