Preparing cappuccino for guests

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Chazz

#1: Post by Chazz »

I prepare 2 -3 cappuccinos/day for myself using the following numbers:
18 gms ground coffee in a triple-basket bottomless portafilter, and 35 gms coffee pulled in 30 - 40 seconds.

If I want to prepare for guests I want to swap the bottomless portafilter for a double spouted one, and pour two cups at a time.

My question is what parameters need I change? Increase the ground coffee dose in the portafilter? Decrease the quantity of coffee/cup? Change the grind? The pull time?

Thanks for your help.

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Why change anything? You can make two cappuccinos at half the strength you usually prefer which may well suit guests especially at night. Particularly if you use a reasonable amount of milk vs drowning the coffee.
LMWDP #603

Advertisement
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

Agreed. My first thought was, why do you have to change anything? Switching from bottomless to spouted won't change the extraction.
LMWDP #748

Chazz (original poster)

#4: Post by Chazz (original poster) »

But I want the guest's coffee to be the same strength as what I make - not diluted by 50%.

Almico

#5: Post by Almico replying to Chazz »

Then you have to make them the same way you make them for yourself.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

I do this all the time. Simply pull two splits into the cups using your recipe; no need to change a thing. Thus, two identical capps are ready at the same time. I make the foam for these two in one go, alternating the pour between the cups, so that both get equal amounts of steamed milk and foam. If you make one complete capp at a time, then one has to sit while you make the other; I like my way better :D . But, I thought everyone did it this way.

mokava

#7: Post by mokava »

So your personal output is off a larger basket (tripple). Have you tried to stuff in 18g into your spouted double? If it doesn't fit with reasonable tamp, then you'd need to scale your recipe to the lower dose.

Yet, at once this won't let you produce 2 full cups of the same volume as your personal preference. You'd still need to pull the second shot for that.

While there's a nice value in serving 2 cups at a time. I'd stick with your proven routine, pulling one cup at a time. Assuming, the milk is ready before the shots, the delay shouldn't significantly affect your guests' enjoyment.

Just to test this, I'd time how long does it take you to get ready for the next shot, and subjectively assess any taste degradation from resting the shot in the first cup. Milk will smooth this more.

Advertisement
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Nunas »

So your personal output is off a larger basket (tripple). Have you tried to stuff in 18g into your spouted double? If it doesn't fit with reasonable tamp, then you'd need to scale your recipe to the lower dose.
Huh? I'm not sure why the OP uses a tripple basket for 18-grams; but there's no 'stuffing' involved when using a doppio basket. 18 grams just fits into my stock double basket. Admittedly it's full, but there's still a bit of head space. In my 18 gram VST basket 18 grams fits with a plenty of of extra room. A tripple basket (21+ grams) can't be used to pull splits, as most tripple baskets won't fit into most standard portafilters, including mine. So, the OP will be forced to use a smaller basket. In any case, as I said, I do it all the time and use the same dose, 18 grams, as he does. If I were he, and his stock doppio basket is too small, I'd get an 18 gram basket that fits his double-spouted portafilter and keep brewing the shots as he usually does.

Chazz (original poster)

#9: Post by Chazz (original poster) »

I ordered a 18 gm VST ridgeless basket today. I will try things both ways:
a. Individual shots for each guest using 18 gm and the VST in my bottomless portafilter.
b. Dual shots using the VST in may double-spouted portafilter.

Thanks for your advice.

homeburrero
Team HB

#10: Post by homeburrero »

Nunas wrote: A tripple basket (21+ grams) can't be used to pull splits, as most tripple baskets won't fit into most standard portafilters, including mine.
Yes, but I think it worth mentioning here that triple baskets will easily fit in the Cafelat convertible spouted/bottomless. I use that option fairly often for guests who prefer a cap that I make with a 21 - 22 gram dose and split into two 15 - 20 gram shots for small cappuccino/cortado drinks. I always take the time to have that drink dialed in, and it does have the added advantage that I can crank them out almost twice as fast as my usual doppio cappuccinos.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h