Preparing cappuccino for guests - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Nunas

Postby Nunas » Jul 11, 2019, 3:06 pm

Pat, thanks for mentioning that...I'd never heard of it. Looks like it's going on the Xmas list :D

RapidCoffee
Team HB

Postby RapidCoffee » Jul 12, 2019, 12:32 pm

Here's another option:
Remove the portafilter spring clip, and prep your baskets outside the portafilter. I do this routinely (for a variety of reasons), but it's a good way to speed up the workflow when serving multiple espresso drinks. E.g., prep two baskets, steam enough milk for two capps while you pull the first shot, swap baskets and start the second pull as soon as the brew boiler recovers. Pour milk into the first capp during the second pull, then pour the second capp as soon as it finishes extracting. If you prefer to double up on the extractions (half from the first pull, half from the second), it's still easier to have baskets prepped beforehand.
John

mr_pedro

Postby mr_pedro » Jul 13, 2019, 5:54 am

Chazz wrote:I prepare 2 -3 cappuccinos/day for myself using the following numbers:
18 gms ground coffee in a triple-basket bottomless portafilter, and 35 gms coffee pulled in 30 - 40 seconds.

If I want to prepare for guests I want to swap the bottomless portafilter for a double spouted one, and pour two cups at a time.

My question is what parameters need I change? Increase the ground coffee dose in the portafilter? Decrease the quantity of coffee/cup? Change the grind? The pull time?

Thanks for your help.

My double cappuccino workflow is:

Fill pitcher with cold milk for 2 cappuccinos
Prepare portafilter for shot of double espresso
Cooling flush into cup 1 (I have a HX machine) will also pre-heat cup 1
Put portafilter in and pour hot water from cup 1 into cup 2
Brew espresso and steam milk at the same time
Clean the steam wand, put cup 1 on top of the machine and prepare the portafilter for the next shot.
Brew the second espresso into cup 2 and at the same time pour the milk into cup1
Pour the milk into cup 2
clean the portafilter

homeburrero
Team HB

Postby homeburrero » Jul 13, 2019, 2:04 pm

RapidCoffee wrote: ... and start the second pull as soon as the brew boiler recovers.

On an E61 HX with a restrictor, that recovery is the key. On my Giotto Evo it can be 4 minutes or so after the end of the prior shot, allowing plenty of time to steam milk for the previous shot, refill milk pitcher and prep PF for the next shot at a leisurely pace. For standard doppio caps and lattes and with natural rebounding of the group It can take me a good half hour to make 6-7 drinks.

Off topic, but related: Last time I was making drinks after dinner at a party I was saved by everyone wanting an affogato. Two small scoops of ice cream in each cup, each cup under one spout of my split triple. Smelled great and looked (and were) tasty - once I made the first ones that's what everyone else wanted.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

RapidCoffee
Team HB

Postby RapidCoffee » Jul 13, 2019, 3:27 pm

homeburrero wrote:On an E61 HX with a restrictor, that recovery is the key. On my Giotto Evo it can be 4 minutes or so after the end of the prior shot, allowing plenty of time to steam milk for the previous shot, refill milk pitcher and prep PF for the next shot at a leisurely pace. For standard doppio caps and lattes and with natural rebounding of the group It can take me a good half hour to make 6-7 drinks.

Yeah, that's unacceptable. For 6-7 guests, I brew a pot and call it good. 8)

I'm spoiled by my Spaz S1, which is basically a small one group commercial double boiler. Recovery time is seconds (not minutes) for my typical 15g in, 30g out extraction. By the time I've removed the shot and swapped baskets, it's ready to go. It's still work to prepare capps for 4-5 guests, but I can do it in under 10 minutes. Prepping multiple baskets definitely eases the workflow.
John