Preinfusion and the La Marzocco Linea Mini - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
RyanP

#11: Post by RyanP »

pcrussell50 wrote:I have not yet figured out how to make a fantastic super light roasted espresso without some degree of "Slayering". Maybe you make more traditional espresso with more traditionally roasted beans? In which case it's hard to imagine a better machine than your LMLM. But there's a reason people buy Slayers and DE's and/or modify their GS/3's (or other machines) so they can flow profile.

-Peter
Just another point of reference.. I make what I find to be delicious espresso with very light roasted coffee every day and choose not to use a slayer style low flow PI. I do think basic PI is immensely helpful and I wouldn't go without it, but my taste buds tell me low flow PI is not a requirement. I have the slayer functionality, and it's fun, and it produces great espresso, but after using it for awhile and experimenting with various techniques the majority of the time I choose to stick to basic pressure based PI based on results.

pcrussell50

#12: Post by pcrussell50 replying to RyanP »

You also have a Max. And there is a growing body of evidence, (including some presented by you yourself), that that particular grinder reduces the need for long PI. Those of us still slaving away with our Monolith FlatSSP's are still using long PI (depending on the bean).

-Peter
LMWDP #553

RyanP

#13: Post by RyanP replying to pcrussell50 »

For sure, hard to say definitively, but that might be making a difference.

Although, to clarify, I still regularly use 10-15 sec long infusions to fully saturate the puck. I just don't use flow profiling.

nuketopia

#14: Post by nuketopia »

I think it is a non-issue aftert 3.5 years with the Linea Mini and experiencing a very diverse number of coffee beans on the last 2.5 years of the LaMarzocco espresso subscription.

I've been up and down the gamut from light to dark (and yes, everyone will argue over what that means) and have yet to find a case where I couldn't pull as good a shot as the beans can afford.

Pair the LMLM with an excellent grinder and tighten up your game with an Acaia Lunar. Virtually every shot comes out great.

pcrussell50

#15: Post by pcrussell50 »

So... my curiosity is piqued... are you saying that there is some magic mojo to the LMLM whereby it is able to do without pre infusion, what say a Slayer or machines of similar nor greater capability need pre infusion to accomplish?

And how does the Acaia Lunar improve the taste of espresso over another fast accurate scale with 0.1g precision?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#16: Post by mivanitsky »

RyanP wrote:For sure, hard to say definitively, but that might be making a difference.

Although, to clarify, I still regularly use 10-15 sec long infusions to fully saturate the puck. I just don't use flow profiling.
This, exactly. I rarely need to use full Slayer preinfusion with MAX for light roasts. Moreover, most of the time I can get by with EPNW HQ baskets, and not need VST or Pullman.

Jasper_8137

#17: Post by Jasper_8137 »

arcus wrote:FYI, Frank @ Titus is going to be releasing a kickass preinfusion module for the LMLM shortly.
Details please...

def

#18: Post by def »

RyanP wrote:I do think basic PI is immensely helpful and I wouldn't go without it, but my taste buds tell me low flow PI is not a requirement.
Pardon me, but what is meant by "basic PI"? Is this something defined by a DE program/mode?

arcus

#19: Post by arcus »

Jasper_8137 wrote:Details please...

pcrussell50

#20: Post by pcrussell50 »

def wrote:Pardon me, but what is meant by "basic PI"? Is this something defined by a DE program/mode?
I can't put words in Ryan's mouth but I bet means something like "a few seconds at some reduced pressure (or flow rate)" like on e61's, or as was the dogma on in the days before PI became a really big thing. My machine has programmable PI that you can set for as long a duration and whatever pressure you want. BUT the default setting if you don't set something different is eight seconds at 60% pump power. Kind of like the old dogma, and like an E61. This is what we used to consider as PI in the days before we really began putting it to use.

-Peter
LMWDP #553