Post a video of your espresso making technique - Page 12

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#111: Post by samuellaw178 »

This is the first time I've seen Strada in action.Wow! :o The noise sounds a little distracting though, is that how it's supposed to sound like? Just curious from a newbie's perspective. :P

The donut extraction supposedly shouldn't be a problem. At least not that significant. I agree with Dennis that your flow blonded way too fast. Could be the light? Was it the same without the pressure profiling? Also, by any chance is the pressure gauge inaccurate(ie, it reads 8.75 bars but actually it's higher)? I read that sometimes if the pressure is too high, it will blond very quickly. I assumed you purged your Robur E right(otherwise it could be caused by stale coffee)? I am sure you did a lot of testings and you probably covered those, but I am throwing out my guesses hoping it would help solving the problem.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#112: Post by mitch236 »

The Strada sounds weird because each group has a gear pump that creates the pressure profile so the sounds you hear is the pump. I didn't like it at first but now I can use the sound to help regulate the pressure.

Yes, I purged the Robur. The beans are only 4 days post roast so aren't fully rested. I don't have a Scace 2 so haven't tested the actual pressure, so maybe pressure is to blame.

I guess I'm really hoping someone will look at the video and say, "the problem is so obvious!"

cafeIKE

#113: Post by cafeIKE »

mitch236 wrote:Let me jump on board. I am posing this in hopes that someone will see why I keep getting low extraction yields...
Too much coffee, too much futzing. A Robur does not require all the manipulation. Lose the funnel.

From the video, appears the puck center only extracts for 10 seconds.

Try 18.5g. Adjust grind for correct flow. Fill basket, shake level, rap once or twice. Start pump on lock-in.

tekomino

#114: Post by tekomino »

mitch236 wrote: I guess I'm really hoping someone will look at the video and say, "the problem is so obvious!"
Again, depends on the light for this "diagnosis", but it is obvious. Its distribution. Your shot is blonding way too quickly so no wonder you are not extracting enough. Its basically channeling inside and you are just extracting pockets inside of your puck.

So key is to get better and even distribution. That center problem could be shower-screen screw digging into your puck. Dose less for that basket.

I'd also say get Versalab M3 :D . Its distribution out of grinder is unsurpassed, so you will not have distribution problems and no fussing with puck. M3 is not 100% consistent but distribution is not problem it has...

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#115: Post by mitch236 »

cafeIKE wrote:Too much coffee, too much futzing. A Robur does not require all the manipulation. Lose the funnel.
Why lose the funnel? Do you feel it detracts from the distribution? The reason I ask is that without the funnel, grounds will spray all over.
cafeIKE wrote:From the video, appears the puck center only extracts for 10 seconds.
Have to agree with you. How can I fix that? If I don't use WDT to redistribute away from the center, I fear it would be worse.
cafeIKE wrote:Try 18.5g. Adjust grind for correct flow. Fill basket, shake level, rap once or twice. Start pump on lock-in.
Maybe there's too much coffee but that's what Counter Culture recommends and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to recreate their recipe. I'm using the same equipment they use. Are you implying I shouldn't tamp? My delay at starting the pump was merely to get the cup under the spout (and my daughter and I were competing for the same space!)

tekomino

#116: Post by tekomino »

mitch236 wrote:Maybe there's too much coffee but that's what Counter Culture recommends and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to recreate their recipe. I'm using the same equipment they use.
Two things you should try:

1. Use my technique from this video to distribute, switch to Convex tamper with light nutation and try that. Notice how this does not gush and blond:
2. Try grinding to center and then just distributing with edge of your finger around. I use it in this video:

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#117: Post by mitch236 »

I went back and dosed 18.5. Shot looked the same. I also didn't WDT, I merely dosed, then shook the basket to level the grounds, tamped and pulled. The basket is a VST 22 so shouldn't be any problem hitting the screen but I checked anyway.

Maybe I need a convex tamper?

tekomino

#118: Post by tekomino »

mitch236 wrote:Maybe I need a convex tamper?
Damn, it should not matter that much. I do believe that tamper should match the screen/group-head but it should not be HUGE difference. In those video above I used standard LM double basket. These days I use EPNW HQ 18g baskets.

Also on my M7D video you saw what I did, not much, except use Convex tamper and light nutation...

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#119: Post by mitch236 »

I can't see your videos. Btw Ike, if you want to see futzing, you should have seen what single dosing the K10 was like! Weighing beans then pulsing and brushing again and again..... It was a nightmare! I packed it up and will be selling it. I drew the line there! Too much work.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#120: Post by mitch236 »

I switched to a different computer and now can see the videos. Your shots look great! From watching you, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! It should be easier than this!

Going back to the bench now and trying something different!