Post a video of your espresso making technique - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Marshall

#11: Post by Marshall »

You can learn to play golf and tennis by reading books and watching videos, but not very well. Most people learn more effectively with a personal mentor, who can spot your flaws and correct them.

Although there are nuggets of useful information on H-B, the unfiltered absorption of this website is likely to lead to ... see video above.
Marshall
Los Angeles

tekomino

#12: Post by tekomino »

Marshall wrote:Although there are nuggets of useful information on H-B, the unfiltered absorption of this website is likely to lead to ... see video above.
You have to add before you can subtract. Its normal.

benm5678 (original poster)

#13: Post by benm5678 (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:Alternatively, you can train with a pro, develop your technique and skip every ritual except turning the grinder on and off and tamping evenly
If you have suggestions of an easier method on the Mini E I'll be happy to try. Are you saying, if I want to dose 14g, I should just grind it, and tamp down. Nothing else? I can make a video of this... I have an idea how it will turn out from previous attempts (looks and taste-wise) - but maybe you can point out some tips.
Marshall wrote:You can learn to play golf and tennis by reading books and watching videos, but not very well. Most people learn more effectively with a personal mentor, who can spot your flaws and correct them
I know it's harder to explain and learn online... but I doubt I have access here in Missouri to a good mentor (maybe a starbucks barista?!?). Even though my technique has some akwards steps, I do think I learned to make very high quality espresso by reading [and lots and lots of practice/experimentation]. There's always more to learn and improve... that's why I hope to see more videos that show as much detail as possible, perhaps pick up some nuances in people's technique.... or just enjoy the crazy things they came up with ;)

Marshall

#14: Post by Marshall »

benm5678 wrote:I know it's harder to explain and learn online... but I doubt I have access here in Missouri to a good mentor ....
Actually, I know a great mentor right in your backyard, and he's a member of H-B. I don't know if Barry (Riley's Coffee & Fudge) is interested in the business, but, may I suggest you send him a PM and find out? Barry has been sharing his coffee experience and all around wisdom on the Internet for eons.

One of Barry's recent posts here: Bad Science: how much is 25mls in 25 seconds?
Marshall
Los Angeles

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by mitch236 »

I didn't see any glaring issues with your ritual and if you love the results, I wouldn't defend anything. I would seek out a pro if you can because he can play with your equipment and help you hone in on possibly a more efficient (and dare I say better tasting?) ritual.

Yes, HB does have a lot of "hacks" for working with non-pro equipment. Also some ideas about attaining a very high degree of consistency that cannot be used in a busy commercial environment like weighing every shot (pre and post).

Good job on the video. Eventually I will post one. I only have an iPhone though!

cafeIKE

#16: Post by cafeIKE »

Marshall wrote:You can learn to play golf and tennis by reading books and watching videos, but not very well. Most people learn more effectively with a personal mentor, who can spot your flaws and correct them.

Although there are nuggets of useful information on H-B, the unfiltered absorption of this website is likely to lead to ... see video above.
The overwhelming percentage of 'pros' twirl, tap, tamp-tap-tamp, play patticake, etc.
With sufficient diligence, one finds such falderal disparaged herein.

cafeIKE

#17: Post by cafeIKE »

benm5678 wrote:If you have suggestions of an easier method on the Mini E I'll be happy to try.
Clean out throat leftovers on the pre shot purge.

Use a small angled brush or ??? to clear the throat as you grind directly into the basket. A quick side to side shake of the PF handle will distribute. Tamp and pull.

benm5678 (original poster)

#18: Post by benm5678 (original poster) »

Ian - you also mean to fill the hopper with the technique you suggest? or weighed single dose will still work?

Marshall

#19: Post by Marshall »

cafeIKE wrote:The overwhelming percentage of 'pros' twirl, tap, tamp-tap-tamp, play patticake, etc.
And good trainers dispense with such tics.
Marshall
Los Angeles

cafeIKE

#20: Post by cafeIKE »

I use a small hair coloring brush, bent to a 60° angle to clear the throat on the MXK, either hopper or 1-shot dosing. The brush must be short enough that it cannot go far enough into the throat to catch the wipers.

The missus picked them up for me at a local beauty supply. I think they're called HiLighters or something :roll: I can post a photo tomorrow