Portafilter too hot?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Jebez

Postby Jebez » Sep 19, 2018, 5:36 pm

Greetings friends!
When I turn my machine on (either the Breville Dual Boiler or the Andreja Premium) I make it a habit to lock the portafilter in place so that it heats up along with the machine. After the machine is ready, I remove the portafilter and dose.
I'm not certain as to why I began doing this (perhaps I read something somewhere when I began making espresso about eight years ago).
But whenever I read about concerns with grinders that heat the coffee as it's being ground, I wonder if my hot portafilter is having a negative impact on the ground coffee. After I grind into the portafilter, I'd estimate that the coffee is sitting in the basket for about three minutes.
if this procedure isn't correct, what should I do instead of placing the portafilter into the group head as the machine heats up?
As always, thank you in advance for your input.
Jerry

emradguy

Postby emradguy » Sep 19, 2018, 5:51 pm

Pre-heating the pf prevents it from sucking all the heat away from the water during the extraction...essentially helping you "brew" the espresso at the desired temperature (200 +/-~5F). It's a good practice to have. In my home, the only time a pf is not on the group is when I'm prepping a shot or cleaning it...whether the machine is on or off. Curious why it's about 3 minutes from prepping the basket until pulling the shot for you though?

chipman

Postby chipman » Sep 19, 2018, 7:55 pm

[ .
emradguy wrote:Curious why it's about 3 minutes from prepping the basket until pulling the shot for you though?

That's also my question?

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Sep 19, 2018, 8:30 pm

The temperature of the portfilter isn't an issue, though I doubt my coffee is in the basket more than 30-45s after grinding and before pulling the shot, and that's generous sometimes. You typically would be grinding when you are ready to make the shot, but maybe it doesn't even matter?

Jebez

Postby Jebez » Sep 19, 2018, 8:57 pm

emradguy wrote:Pre-heating the pf prevents it from sucking all the heat away from the water during the extraction...essentially helping you "brew" the espresso at the desired temperature (200 +/-~5F). It's a good practice to have. In my home, the only time a pf is not on the group is when I'm prepping a shot or cleaning it...whether the machine is on or off. Curious why it's about 3 minutes from prepping the basket until pulling the shot for you though?

Thank you all for your replies. I'm happy to know that I haven't been 'cooking' the ground coffee all these years.
In answer to everyone's question regarding the amount of time I take from grind to pulling the shot:
I have a bit of OCD, and I guess it extends to the way I prepare espresso. After I grind, I then use a stirrer to stir up the ground coffee in the basket, I then use an OCD style distribution tool (insert pun here :wink: ), and follow that with a tamp. Admittedly I devote a bit more attention and time to the process than I should - but you should see my cleaning regimen after each shot! Then again, you should see how spotless my equipment is, inside and out. :D

Rich

Postby Rich » Sep 19, 2018, 10:41 pm

Jebez wrote:I have a bit of OCD, and I guess it extends to the way I prepare espresso.

From what I have read on this forum, I think you and your OCD are in pretty good company. :wink:
But I'm guessing (hoping?) that you are way over-estimating the time it takes you to prepare your shot. I pretty much use similar technique. Dose, stir, ocd, tamp, mount portafilter, pull shot. I'm guessing it takes less than a minute from hitting the button on the grinder to pulling the shot on the machine. By the way, I preheat my portafilter, as well. I think you need that heat so you brew at a proper and consistent temperature.

I'm still trying to decide if the OCD tool is helpful or harmful. I'm considering something like the Saint Anthony Industries Shot Collar. I love how it distributes the grounds over the surface without compressing them. Seems like it would be much more effective than the OCD.

Jebez

Postby Jebez » replying to Rich » Sep 20, 2018, 12:08 am

Thank you for your reply Rich, and for the info on the Saint Anthony Industries Shot collar. I'm going to check that out as soon as I post this reply. As for the OCD (knockoff), I began using it in my hope that it would help eliminate my shots from spraying on my Breville DB. Parenthetically, I don't have the problem with my Andreja. I use a convex tamper on the Andreja and a flat tamper on the BDB. It seemed to reduce the spraying - or my technique with the new flat tamper had improved. In any case, one day I decided to adjust the OCD tool so that it tamped the coffee in the basket (ı pressed down first, and then would spin the tool for a few rotations). Sure enough, no more spraying. That's what I've been doing for the past few weeks with very good results.

erik82

Postby erik82 » Sep 20, 2018, 2:00 am

That OCD is good and helps improve your espresso but 3min is pretty long. All those steps can be done in 30-40s.

Why not take the spring out of the portafilter and take the filterbasket out to dose in. You can then leave the portafilter in the group and put the filterbasket in when it's ready. Keeping the spring in makes it much harder to take the basket out and put it in with the chance of breaking the puck. Works easy and you have both hands free for your OCD.

Jebez

Postby Jebez » replying to erik82 » Sep 20, 2018, 5:35 pm

Excellent advice! Thank you Eric!

karamba

Postby karamba » Oct 08, 2018, 11:17 am

If you do not preheat the portafilter you get cold coffee. As simple as that.