Poll: Light coffee roasts for milk drinks - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.

Do you like light coffee roasts for espresso-based milk drinks?

Poll ended at December 27th, 2022, 1:39 pm

I do not like light coffee roasts period
20%
I like them for straight espresso, but not milk drinks
34%
I like them for both straight espresso and milk drinks
46%

Total votes: 112

tarzan_monkeyman

#11: Post by tarzan_monkeyman »

I like light roast shots but so far like others I've only gotten sour milk when I try cortados/cappuccinos.

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

For milk drinks, when paired with light roasts, I mainly go for a light roasted natural processed Ethiopian coffee.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

iyayy

#13: Post by iyayy »

definitely with milk, any roasts or beans, mostly so.
if i wanted straight, it will be flannel drip.

imho light roasts done correctly can be prominently much more sweeter in milk vs any meds or dark.

the point is how you pull a shot.
what taste preferable as straight may not work with milk.
usually i find a shot that taste sour after cooled down will more likely fight against milk and gets you that wierd stale cheese taste. milk flavor is stronger when hot, and coffee flavor tends to be stronger cold.
its like finding a good balance between gravy and med rare steak.. its either juicy and melts in your mouth or a textured mess, and getting it to taste right throughout the meal.

i also found adjusting pi pressure and time to affect most on what can work or doesnt.
same coffee that pulls as brighter/balanced when drank hot usually doesnt work as well one thats darker or too intense as straight, but will mix well and not fight with milk texture and taste.

i've had and enjoyed berries, prominent cherries, nosefilling roses, lychees lingering aftertaste, and others i find normal lattes almost outright boring.

i also rarely buy same 200g beans, never 1kg; and on some i'm still trying to fine tune the balance even after 2 bags of 200g, but usually i'd have narrowed it down by 7-8th shot. i usually only need 3 pulls to decide a recipe for dark, but light lattes and for some beans is outright difficult. even so other than poor roast (strong bad flavor) i havnt really hit a wall despite lack of flow control. at worse those will be office drips. :P

also milk type matters, i tried almost every available brands at my place. some wont work ie. too strong and outright drowns or fights the coffee. i stick to something that has light but rich taste to balance it.

happy brewing.

Ypuh

#14: Post by Ypuh »

Difficult choice, that's why I answered that I don't like light roasts. In truth I like everything and switching it up including milks drinks and espresso, but light roasts are not my favourite.

1. You can use any coffee that tastes good in milk drinks
2. A medium or darker roast likely tastes better in milk drinks
3. Expensive light roast beans mellowed down by milk is likely a waste of the more expensive beans
4. Extracting a good light roast is more finicky and/or requires more expensive equipment, which can also be considered a waste

With the high likelyhood to aggravate at least one person, I'd say it's not worth it to put light roasts in a milk drink. If you already have your setup dialed in for light roasts, it probably isn't worth it to switch it up only for milk drinks either.
I don't want a Decent

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by PIXIllate »

People put MILK in their espresso???!!!

What a crazy world we live in.

espressotime

#16: Post by espressotime replying to PIXIllate »

Pure espresso to me is 99% of the time undrinkable. My drink is an espresso with very little steamed milk. Heaven.

appa

#17: Post by appa »

Does anyone here alter their brew ratio for a light roast milk drink?

I dont really care for light roasts in milk, although some are more forgiving.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#18: Post by baldheadracing »

PIXIllate wrote:People put MILK in their espresso???!!!
Some people even put espresso in their milk :shock: :mrgreen:.

I usually roast my decaf to work both straight and in a double-shot cappuccino, e.g., 18g dose, 125ml milk(before steaming). While I would still consider the decaf to be a light roast - dropped before the end of first crack - my 'normal-coffee' roasts are lighter and would curdle milk. (The coffee doesn't result in actual curds; the drink just gets an undesirable taste.)

Tied into this is what is "light" roast - and, as such nomenclature exists: a "light filter roast" vs. a "light espresso roast." From the few roasts that I buy, a "light espresso roast" seems to be my medium - dropped between first and second crack. I guess that I could pull the RoastVision out of hibernation :oops:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

TallDan

#19: Post by TallDan »

I voted that I like light roasts both ways.

I have a light roasted dry processed Ethiopian that I've been enjoying as straight espresso for the last few days. Wife said yesterday that she liked it in her oat milk latte. I tried a couple (whole milk) cappuccinos with it this morning and it's just not working for me.

So I guess I don't like every light roast with milk.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Pressino »

For me it really depends on the beans and what we consider to be a "light" roast. As others noted, Ethiopian can work well. I've found that coffees that cup higher in sweetness can be quite nice in lattes or caps. I recently roasted a Honey Process Rwanda Karambi to near Full City that after sitting for 3 days made a delicious latte. City to Full City, however, may not be considered light by some folks. The time window since roast day will be important to consider as well. Maybe about 3 to 4 days for this particular coffee and roast level, and will of course vary for other coffees and roast levels.