Pitchers smaller than 12 oz?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Frenchman

#1: Post by Frenchman »

My milk drinks are 6 oz cappuccinos. My smallest pitcher is 12 oz and so I always end up throwing milk away (and if I underfill it, milk doesn't turn out as well). It's worse if I make a single cortado.

Is there a smaller pitcher I could use? Any recommendation for 8 oz? I'd like to reduce waste. I would also like it to stand up the 2 bars of steam of my Linea Mini if possible (as far as that working with less volume, I mean).

TIA for suggestions on either hardware, or technique, or both.
LMWDP #712

bonjing

#2: Post by bonjing »

Slow pour supply has 10oz pitchers and Motta has an 8.5oz.

Kaffee Bitte

#3: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

The Mota 8.5 is about perfect for the 4ish ounces I steam for my 6 ounce cups. I also found a random 6.5 ounce that I use for 2 to 3 ounce portions. It is much more difficult to use than the Mota.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

jdrobison

#4: Post by jdrobison »

I use this one almost daily for cortados and my small capp's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SC ... UTF8&psc=1

Frenchman (original poster)

#5: Post by Frenchman (original poster) »

6.8 oz! Nice, and a great price. Do you like how it pours foam for art?

I put ~4 oz (fl oz...) of milk in my 12 oz pitcher. I actually just measured exactly that much this morning. 4 oz of milk in, and I had 2 oz of foam left over after pouring (6 oz Illy cup with 2 oz, or 35 g, of espresso). That means my milk was somewhat overstrteched probably (6 oz would mean 50% stretch from 4 oz), though art still pours beautifully. I then redid it with 3.75 oz of foam and had .75 oz left (~ 25% strtech this time), so I think I can probably get close to no waste in that 12 oz pitcher. It's just a few seconds of steaming, and getting shallow, so a smaller pither will probably help consistency still.
LMWDP #712

Kaffee Bitte

#6: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I find for pitcher sizes, half the stated size is about perfect for steaming in that pitcher. Anymore and you risk overflow at the end.
My Mota 8.5 is usually filled with 3.5 to 4 ounces. Perfect amount for my 6 ounce cups with coffee
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

jdrobison

#7: Post by jdrobison »

Frenchman wrote:6.8 oz! Nice, and a great price. Do you like how it pours foam for art?

I put ~4 oz (fl oz...) of milk in my 12 oz pitcher. I actually just measured exactly that much this morning. 4 oz of milk in, and I had 2 oz of foam left over after pouring (6 oz Illy cup with 2 oz, or 35 g, of espresso). That means my milk was somewhat overstrteched probably (6 oz would mean 50% stretch from 4 oz), though art still pours beautifully. I then redid it with 3.75 oz of foam and had .75 oz left (~ 25% strtech this time), so I think I can probably get close to no waste in that 12 oz pitcher. It's just a few seconds of steaming, and getting shallow, so a smaller pither will probably help consistency still.
It pours well enough for my needs. Here's a pic of how it comes out.

I fill to just below the spout indent which is probably 3 to 4 oz and use it just for cortados and smaller capps. I have a bit larger pitcher for fuller capps.