Paradox: The LM double basket - Page 14

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
zin1953

#131: Post by zin1953 »

Ah, looking again at the pic, I think your right . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

cafeIKE

#132: Post by cafeIKE »

and I think they look exceeding similar to my Synesso baskets

1st-line
Sponsor

#133: Post by 1st-line »

Correct, all three photos are of the same basket.
The first and third are of the outside, the second of the inside.

I haven't seen a Synesso basket firsthand. Interesting if they are actually similar to the Elektra one.
(this is from a Semi-Automatica btw)
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

another_jim
Team HB

#134: Post by another_jim »

The grinder experiment, which required 22.5 to 27.5 gram shots in 25 seconds from a fixed dose put the LM ridged double through its paces. The result is unanimous -- everyone who participated hated the basket, finding it a lot more finicky than the baskets they usually use. This was not just for the lower 15 gram dose, but for the higher 18 gram one.

This is doubly odd, since the baskets have a stellar reputation and just about every amateur buys one to try out.

I don't think the problem is poorly produced holes. Instead, I think it's the shape: the slightly concave arc in the baskets sides, as opposed to the convex one of the E61, Cimbali and Synesso baskets, is what makes this basket so finicky.
Jim Schulman

cafeIKE

#135: Post by cafeIKE »

Wimps :P Learn to pull singles and the LM is a doddle

AndyS

#136: Post by AndyS »

People interested in the filter basket discussion should read Vince Fedele's article on page 70 of the April/May 2011 issue of Barista Magazine (or maybe page 74 -- the magazine page numbers and the online page numbers aren't the same). For the time being, the magazine can be read online here.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

asicign

#137: Post by asicign »

Very interesting article! After reading it, I thought to myself that maybe filters should be manufactured with graded hole sizes / total area, and instead of dialing in the grinder, swapping filters until the optimal shot is produced for a given roast.

Andy

erics
Supporter ★

#138: Post by erics »

Andy -

Much thanks for bringing this article to our attention and providing a link to same.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#139: Post by cpreston »

I'm puzzled by the silence on this one given that there has been quite a lot of basket discussion on HB.

I recall reading that many held a countervailing theory saying that the puck itself provided the dominant flow resistance so the basket holes were relatively unimportant, being less restrictive. But this article says the opposite and seems to support its case well.

Also, the article argues that a rectangular basket cross section gives best uniformity, while many have speculated that rounded bottoms and/or tapered sides should be better.

I'm confused. Still.

spiffdude

#140: Post by spiffdude »

I for one would like to try these baskets... nothing like hands on testing to get one's opinion formed. However, they don't seem to be available. I can tell you that at least a few barista's here in Montreal are pretty excited about next gen baskets and this latest article has fuelled the fire.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!