Pale, bubbly dots on my crema

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
exidrion

#1: Post by exidrion »

Hi All,

It seems that no matter what I do, my crema has some distinctive pale dots on my crema. This is a sign of extraction gone wrong and too long correct? I've tried grinding coarser and stopping short but it's still happening. Any tips other than that? I'm using a medium-dark roast :/.

Pressino

#2: Post by Pressino »

If the coffee tastes good I wouldn't worry about it and consider it a cosmetic issue. Could be related to your coffee and roast level and time since roast rather than extraction parameters. One parameter that can affect the appearance of crema, however, is temperature.

vecchi della seattle
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by vecchi della seattle »

Uneven extraction, channeling. Try using a blind portafilter to see what's going on.

mrgnomer

#4: Post by mrgnomer »

What kind of roast are you using and what is the roast date?
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

exidrion (original poster)

#5: Post by exidrion (original poster) »

mrgnomer wrote:What kind of roast are you using and what is the roast date?
Medium - Dark roast, Sept 9.
Pressino wrote:If the coffee tastes good I wouldn't worry about it and consider it a cosmetic issue. Could be related to your coffee and roast level and time since roast rather than extraction parameters. One parameter that can affect the appearance of crema, however, is temperature.
Thanks, could it be too cool of a temp?

Milligan

#6: Post by Milligan »

Can you post a pic?
★ Helpful

mrgnomer

#7: Post by mrgnomer »

Roast is still fairly fresh. If your med dark roast grind is coarse now try a bit finer to slow the extraction a bit. Ramp the extraction pressure down when it gets thinner if you can and cut it off when it blonds. A preinfusion might prep the puck for a more even extraction but depending on how dark the roast is over extracting with too long of a pull is possible. Look at the puck before you knock it out for signs of channeling or contact with the showerscreen. Fresh roasts tend to bloom so keeping your dose down for headspace might help.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love