Ordered a new espresso machine but grinder will have to wait. Couple of questions - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
big_mack (original poster)

#21: Post by big_mack (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Fresh versus stale isn't the only issue. One thing that's not covered here is the necessity of a grinder so you can adjust grind as well as dose. Having your own grinder and weighing your coffee and shots lets you tune your espresso according to basic guidelines shown below. Anything less is hit or miss (with more misses and rare hits).

Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste
that is missing. I was stupidly assuming that the roaster I go to was going to adjust the grind for each bean I buy from them. I bet they just do one grind for espresso. Even though they have high end commercial grinders.

drgary
Team HB

#22: Post by drgary »

They probably adjust the grind as they go.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
jgood

#23: Post by jgood »

As has been stated you need to dial in the grind for the beans and the machine. Also one doesn't grind and then wait 1/2 hour -- or whatever your drive time is -- one grinds, tamps, and pulls a shot. Sort of like my cousin used to do with corn, he got the water boiling, then he picked the corn.

Bluenoser

#24: Post by Bluenoser »

The Sette has a good grind, but its gear train is made of plastic and many owners have only gotten between 2-3 years out of it before failure. I am one. Now Baratza has great tech support and they are sending me a new gear train for nothing.. But you might want to consider saving some more $ for a Niche Zero that you will likely have twice as long (or longer).

big_mack (original poster)

#25: Post by big_mack (original poster) replying to Bluenoser »

When I heard about Baratza support that sold me on the brand. Does the Vario have plastic gears too?

jgood

#26: Post by jgood »

The Vario is driven by a toothed belt -- the gear that's on the motor shaft is metal, not sure about the other one. I've had one for 2 1/2 years with no issues.

pcrussell50

#27: Post by pcrussell50 replying to jgood »

I had mine for 10 years before sending it off the Baratza for a "refresh". And even after those ten years, it never failed. Not. Even. Once. Because of that, it never had any of the upgrades that Baratza put out over the years. Now, it saw only light duty for the last couple of years as I dabbled in Monoliths, both Flat SSP and Max. I sold those, looking for the "next great thing", (whatever that will be), and am using my Vario again full time. It is now hyper aligned. and this for it's sibling. It also has the two key metal bits from the Forte.

Not saying it's better then my $3500 Monoliths were... But I'm not suffering in the meantime while I wait for the next hotness to come along.

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
Oskuk

#28: Post by Oskuk »

The right thing should have been first grinder, then machine. But anyway, I never ever buy a plastic baranza anymore, my Vario is a flimsy joke
If get used for 50$, then perhaps, as long as it lasts, and then to bin...

pcrussell50

#29: Post by pcrussell50 replying to Oskuk »

Fascinating. Can you describe specific things? Maybe you have discovered a new kind of failure that the rest of us can be on the lookout for? Or is it just that you don't like the look and feel of engineered plastics? My Vario is made largely of engineered plastic, but it has never failed to grind. And it is one of the first ever Varios, from summer 2009.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

drgary
Team HB

#30: Post by drgary »

Before this heats up, I'm going to suggest keeping the conversation technical and evidence-based. If you disagree with another's recommendation of gear based on your own experience, please make your argument but don't ridicule. That's not how we treat each other here.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!