Ordered a new espresso machine but grinder will have to wait. Couple of questions - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
big_mack (original poster)

#11: Post by big_mack (original poster) »

chanty 77 wrote:Many years ago, I solely used preground with my espresso maker. Mainly because I truly did not want to have to go through a bunch of learning curves, and the fear of failure kept me from thinking too much about it. The guy I bought preground from tried to convince me of the difference between night and day with how the coffee/espresso will taste from preground to beans. It wasn't that I didn't believe him, but coupled with the scariness of the learning curve on getting the grind right and wasting beans plus the cost of a grinder, it took me years to be convinced. Finally, after having so many people constantly telling me that I would wonder why it took me so long to get a grinder, I did. I ended up getting the Gaggia MDF to go with my Gaggia Classic espresso machine (which I'm still mulling over which espresso machine to replace that with for better heat consistency). It took me a bit to learn the grind settings and playing around with it--but I have to tell you, it was one of the best things I ever did on my coffee/espresso journey was to start grinding my own beans. Do I ever struggle to get the correct grind for whatever beans I'm using? Yeah, I do. Yet, it's true, the taste is like night and day, and I wish I would have gone from preground to beans years ago. The flavor in my cup is so much better than I can even say.
Thanks for the anecdotal story. normally that would be enough to make me sell a kid to get a grinder. My kids are worth more now that their degrees are paid for and done. I could get a heck of a grinder. But I want to go thru this like you did. I want to get a half lb of fresh ground coffee from a local roaster and take it home and try it immediately as if I just ground it myself. And try it a couple of hours later. And then daily. And see if I can taste a night and day difference. If I do, and my wife does, I'll shorten the timeframe of getting a grinder. Sounds like a fun science project.

chanty 77

#12: Post by chanty 77 »

I totally get what you are doing. I pretty much did the same thing, got the best, freshest preground that I could get. So you have to do what is comfortable to you--in your own experimentation and time. When you do graduate to grinding your own beans--even though it takes a bit to get the hang of it-- you will not go back to preground.
I also used a container to keep the grounds fresher. I now own, which I really like--an Airscape container that holds a pound of beans, maybe more preground to keep fresher longer. Believe it or not, when I did use preground--I never knew of scales to weigh the coffee, just put it in the non pressurized basket that came with the espresso machine, tamped it-- if it gushed---I added more preground to the basket, if too slow, less preground to basket.

Randy G.

#13: Post by Randy G. »

If you would have had the opportunity to do so, I believe the vast m majority here would have said get a good grinder first along with an affordable brewing device (Aeropress, pour over cone, etc.), then save for the mach one. In that way you would have better coffee while waiting.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

#14: Post by big_mack (original poster) replying to Randy G. »

Yes I know that. There is a thread in an FAQ called "Its the grinder stupid" or something like that. And you see that stated over and over in so many threads its ingrained in my mind.

But I got a great deal on a new BDB and I could not get any great BF deals on grinders. Also my wife was about to buy a super auto so I had to stop that from happening and at least get her a better type of machine.

tbone53
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by tbone53 »

You might consider keeping an eye on the Buy/Sell forum for a used Sette grinder from another H-B member. Since it will cost less than new, you can save up enough $ faster and get the grinder faster.

As for dosing, yes you should use a scale. Any small digital kitchen scale with tenths of a gram precision will work. There are many choices with many features for wide price range, but you can easily find usable models under $25.
★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#16: Post by Jeff »

Not just a Sette, but any of the well-respected grinders that end up in your price range. As people upgrade to high-end grinders, mid-ranges ones sometimes become available at entry-level prices.

cccpu

#17: Post by cccpu »

big_mack wrote:Hi Peter. I have been reading a lot of your posts since I started to seriously consider the BDB. Your contributions are first class. Incredible information. I think what swayed me in the end was reading your posts and especially about the myths that BDB parts can't be sourced and they are hard to repair.

As a newbie I will have lots to learn and a bit of a learning curve and maybe starting with preground is not a bad strategy, not that it is really what I wanted. By the time I have some skills I'll be ready for my own grinder and I'll be able to really appreciate it. If I got the full kit to start with I probably won't even realize what a good grinder brings to the table.
If you stick with Peter, you are heading in the right direction. You won't be disappointed you did.
LMWDP #583

#18: Post by big_mack (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Not just a Sette, but any of the well-respected grinders that end up in your price range. As people upgrade to high-end grinders, mid-ranges ones sometimes become available at entry-level prices.
I live in Canada. Buying used out of the US is probably not worth it with shipping costs etc. I do watch regional for sale sites for grinders but there isn't much. Maybe I'll luck out though.

#19: Post by big_mack (original poster) »

I'm sure this is every guys (or woman's if roles reversed) problem. My wife has no problem spending $1500 on an espresso machine but she does not get $500-700 on a grinder. Its a tough sell.

I need to convince her by demonstrating it with an eye opening taste test of preground vs a fresh from a grinder sitting on our countertop. I want to do the taste test myself for that matter.

I think I'll go to one of the few local espresso retailers and see if they do grinder loaners or rentals.

drgary
Team HB

#20: Post by drgary »

Fresh versus stale isn't the only issue. One thing that's not covered here is the necessity of a grinder so you can adjust grind as well as dose. Having your own grinder and weighing your coffee and shots lets you tune your espresso according to basic guidelines shown below. Anything less is hit or miss (with more misses and rare hits).

Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!
★ Helpful