One grinder, two different coffees: regular and decaf

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
flipf

#1: Post by flipf »

Crew, I have a problem to solve, and don't know what is the most efficient way to go when prepping the coffee.

Machine is Rocket Mozzafiato Evo
Portafilters available: One & Two spout and one bottomless
Baskets available: Double, Single, Triple and one Double Pressurized
Grinder is Baratza Vario
Have a scale available also

We typically use Medium caffeinated Beans or Decaf beans, depending on time of day

In our house we drink Americano or Milk based drinks (Latte mostly) and occasionally espresso shots and typically we drink a decaf in the afternoon in either Latte or Americano format.

I typically dial in grinder for the regular beans and make adjustments between normal shots. I care most about the regular shots vs the decaf shots.

How would you suggest making reasonable decaf with the machine? What would be a compromise you would do?
I want to avoid emptying the grinder during the day or weighing beans before each grind if possible.

I tried using the pressurized basket on the single spout portafilter, but boy..... it spits and sputters couple feet on the table.
I can dial in the machine for Decaf using regular basket as well, but that means I have to empty grinder during the day and change grinder adjustments. Most likely next morning coffee will be done with decaf grind settings from yesterday :mrgreen:

I am willing to attempt different type of coffee recipe i.e. Cafe Crema for purpose of making decaf if I can avoid the hassle above.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

If I grind larger for caffe crema for an entire week - is this something that can produce a reasonable decaf if I brew it in the double normal basket? Is cafe crema more forgiving at coffee freshness and grind size than espresso?

TYA

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I'd buy a "cheap" hand grinder for the decaf. I've got a 1Zpresso JX-Pro (as I recall) which is adequate for espresso at around $160 new. They've got a bunch of models and I can't keep them all straight.

travis_rh

#3: Post by travis_rh »

Jeff's mid-level hand-grinder idea is probably the best.

Otherwise, I might:
  • Sell the Vario, buy a single-dose grinder like the Niche, pre-dose both my regular and decaf into labeled tins, and get used to dialing in and brewing a single dose at a time
  • Pick up a hopper with a shut-off (or two) and simply remove the entire hopper, grind through what's in the grind chamber, swap to the other coffee, and vice-versa
  • Skip the whole buying and selling of grinders and simply pre-dose both my regular and decaf into labeled tins, and get used to dialing in and brewing a single dose at a time

cmin

#4: Post by cmin »

Flip flap in Vario chute, and weigh and single dose. Haven't heard someone mention Cafe crema in awhile, personally hate those lol, blehh, turbo shot fad reminds me of those another no bueno.

I would single dose the Vario (I did for years and years flawlessly) or like stated above get anither grinder for decaf

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by emradguy »

I think you have 2 choices...either 2 grinders or single dosing. The beauty of getting at least a decent quality hand grinder is you can take it on a plane...or camping...or...well, pretty much anywhere.
LMWDP #748

Bluenoser

#6: Post by Bluenoser »

Jeff wrote:I'd buy a "cheap" hand grinder for the decaf. I've got a 1Zpresso JX-Pro (as I recall) which is adequate for espresso at around $160 new. They've got a bunch of models and I can't keep them all straight.
I really like keeping my regular espresso grinder tuned in.. I got a cheap ($200) flat grinder because I wanted to try flats .. and I use for my decaf.. but I almost went the hand grinder method.. From Aliexpress (maybe other places) you can get the 7 cutter (heptagon, I think) version of the 1ZPresso Q2.. only holds 20g, but enough for espresso.. and something you can travel with as it is small.. only about $99 US, I think. Has reasonable resolution.. .025mm? .. Don't get the 'regular' Q2, if you do go this route.. get the Heptagonal burr. (some compare this grinder to the Commandante C40 because nearly identical burr design)

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

2 grinders.

Decaf and regular will grind quite differently. You can use the same grinder, but you will waste a lot of coffee dialing it in between the two beans especially if you change every day. Even if you note the reference point setting between the two coffees, that will only get you close. Figure on 2 dumped shots dialing it in every time you switch. That will put a lot of coffee down the sink every day.
Dave Stephens

jgood

#8: Post by jgood »

Forget the decaf! Or as suggested use a second grinder. This could be the opportunity to upgrade from the Vario and keep it as a decaf grinder - or to get a hand grinder. I have a Kinu for use away from home - it's excellent but I would not want to grind several shots in a row with it - so the issue is how often and how many decafs will you be making.

gobucks

#9: Post by gobucks »

https://www.baratza.com/shop/single-dose-hopper

Looks like Baratza actually makes a single dose hopper. It's a pretty inexpensive solution. I also sometimes use decaf in the evening, and it's really nice just being able to switch between beans using single dosing. If you buy some small spice jars, you can even pre-weigh out several doses of each, label them, and then you can save time on weighing your dose each time.

jgood

#10: Post by jgood »

I have the single dose hopper -- it's basically a small hopper -- I'm not sure there's much difference between using it and the larger hopper. It does make the grinder more compact.