Olive oil in steamed milk

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by Milligan »

I don't keep up with Starbucks news, but I saw this short from Sprometheus and decided to try it. Nothing to buy to try it, so why not?

I didn't measure the olive oil. I drizzled a bit into the milk and set off the steam wand. It incorporated within a few seconds. The final result did look different than plain steamed milk. It had a glossy sheen across the top. I noticed it seemed to stay incorporated longer as well. I made one for myself and one for my wife. We both immediately could taste a difference, unlike Sprometheus said. Mine came across as a nuttiness. This likely has something to do with the quality and style of olive oil. I'd actually think the cheaper olive oils would be better since they are typically less flavorful.

The textural difference was noticeable and pleasant. My wife sipped on her's for awhile and the milk seemed to keep its foam far longer than normal. This won't be something I'd add to my routine since it has an effect on the taste but it is something I may do from time to time especially with more developed roasts. The nutty and creamier micro foam pairs well with darker roasts. This is likely why Starbucks is using it.

Anyone else give it a go?

GDM528

#2: Post by GDM528 »

Activating "snark mode":
Aren't commercial oat 'milk' products just a way to consume oil? Many (most?) feature oil as one of their main ingredients. Seems like Starbucks is using the Apple playbook, by pulling (literally, shots) from already-established technologies.

Adding oil to my coffee makes me feel like a two-stroke gasoline engine, which trickles a small amount of oil into the fuel to lubricate the pistons. Perhaps I should be ok with that ;)

Not exactly the same thing, but I've gravitated towards using vat-pasteurized whole milk - the stuff where the milkfat percentage is "all of it". So, 'cow' oil.

gocanes

#3: Post by gocanes »

Tried it today for the first time. It's very nice. Richer mouth feel with a nice nutty aftertaste. I like it a lot.

espressoren

#4: Post by espressoren »

I don't care what it does, adding an extra 100 calories of oil to my morning coffee is taking it in the wrong direction!

Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

GDM528 wrote:Activating "snark mode":
Aren't commercial oat 'milk' products just a way to consume oil? Many (most?) feature oil as one of their main ingredients. Seems like Starbucks is using the Apple playbook, by pulling (literally, shots) from already-established technologies.

Adding oil to my coffee makes me feel like a two-stroke gasoline engine, which trickles a small amount of oil into the fuel to lubricate the pistons. Perhaps I should be ok with that ;)

Not exactly the same thing, but I've gravitated towards using vat-pasteurized whole milk - the stuff where the milkfat percentage is "all of it". So, 'cow' oil.
I put it in whole milk so I got a huge dose of oil :)
espressoren wrote:I don't care what it does, adding an extra 100 calories of oil to my morning coffee is taking it in the wrong direction!
You can add however much you like. I didn't dump a tablespoon in like the video. I just did a drizzle. It still had a noticeable effect. I'm interested in coconut oil next but I'd need to pre warm it perhaps since it is a solid at room temp.

SutterMill

#6: Post by SutterMill »

Hoffmans take was interesting. Sounds like he enjoyed it a bit more than expected. The term "Oily boy" just sounds wrong, but nevertheless has been added to my coffee vernacular.

Milligan, are you an oily boy? :lol:

Plinyyounger

#7: Post by Plinyyounger »

I tried it. It made my latte creamier, more dense. Foam lasted longer. But I didn't enjoy the flavor. I didn't use much, maybe 1/2 tsp? I did enjoy the foam and creaminess, but I don't think I'll try it again unless you all come up with a recipe I can't resist, lol.

You should try it out to decide for yourself.
Family, coffee and fun.

SutterMill

#8: Post by SutterMill »

I think I will. I'll have to pick up something more bland than the olive oil shop in old town folsom sells.

Curious if it would work better with a little sugar in the shot. Looks like an adventurous weekend ahead.

Moka 1 Cup

#9: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

SutterMill wrote:Hoffmans take was interesting. Sounds like he enjoyed it a bit more than expected. The term "Oily boy" just sounds wrong, but nevertheless has been added to my coffee vernacular.

Milligan, are you an oily boy? :lol:
It looks like he removed the video. Maybe it needs some more editing.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

coyote-1

#10: Post by coyote-1 »

I.... can't.

I'm already not a big fan of milk drinks. I have a slight bit of milk in my morning coffee most days, but it remains dark. And my espresso is straight-up. I'll make a latte once a month or so just to practice steaming milk, but that's about it.

That it's a Starbucks concoction surprises me not at all. People there are often buying not a coffee, but a coffee-tinged caramel milkshake. Why not add even more lipids to it?