Okay... so why different espresso results when all same?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
ShotPull

#1: Post by ShotPull »

This happens to me a couple of times a week:

I do primarily Americanos in the AM.

-Same time of day
-Same batch of beans
-Same weight going in (18 g)
-Same tamping pressure (calibrated tamper)
-Same 27 second timed pull
-Same everything else

First cup weighed 89 grams. Second come the desired 50 grams.

I'm used to seeing a 10 gram variance either way but 40? Any ideas?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Is it always the first shot?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ShotPull (original poster)

#3: Post by ShotPull (original poster) »

Yes, the unusually high volume/weight shot is the first. The second then normalizes.

It doesn't taste bad either.

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

That's a pretty significant difference, but my first thought would be that the second shot has less heat soak, so the actual temp of the extraction is higher, taking slightly longer to dissolve more solids than the first shot did. I don't think that could fully explain it though, because I'd expect a narrower difference in a case like that.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

Are you single dosing these shots?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

My guess is that the machine isn't quite ready for that first pull. I'm not familiar with Synchronikas, but in general E-61's like 45 minute warm-ups - with the portafilter in the group. Some flushing may also be needed to get everything copacetic for the first shot.

ETA: If you are using a hopper grinder with a lot of exchange/mixing and don't purge the grounds and partially-broken beans left in the grinder from the day before, then that could do all kinds of things.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by PIXIllate »

I have my Profitec 600 on for an hour before use and run two 7-10 second blind filter flushes before the first shot of the day.

Vindibona1

#8: Post by Vindibona1 replying to PIXIllate »

Interesting. What do you see is the benefit of the blind fluses before you start your first pull? I can see how it might have some tangible benefit, but I don't know what that might be. I might try it, but would like to know why and what to expect that is different than not doing a blind pull first.

I've been pretty diligent doing blind flushes almost daily, but AFTER I'm through pulling. FWIW I'm on a Quick Mill QM67.

BaristaBob

#9: Post by BaristaBob »

ShotPull wrote:This happens to me a couple of times a week:

I do primarily Americanos in the AM.

-Same time of day
-Same batch of beans
-Same weight going in (18 g)
-Same tamping pressure (calibrated tamper)
-Same 27 second timed pull
-Same everything else

First cup weighed 89 grams. Second come the desired 50 grams.

I'm used to seeing a 10 gram variance either way but 40? Any ideas?
That's nearly 100% difference. Not much in your prep could really do that unless you have a grinder that holds a ton of stale beans in the chamber over night. Also, I would flush the group head for about 5 to 10 seconds just to bring that e61 group head up to temp and get that water flowing through the system. That's just my quick thoughts.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by PIXIllate »

I've found that the flow of water is smoother and more consistent after a cool/heat cycle once the entire system has been pressurized and flushed. It seems to remove the slight variability I had between the first and second shots.