Nutation: how to do it right - Page 9

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
runeo

#81: Post by runeo »

Hi
I used this technique for the first time today.
For the first time I got very nice espresso with so smooth crema, using the naked portafilter. Three times in a row! Personal record.

I also thought that the "blonding" came very abrupt. Felt in a way like it did a perfect first third, then skipped the second third and jumped to the blonding phase!

Is this about distribution, but also, as a drawback, sorting the sizes of the fines in layers?
/Rune, not in native language!

another_jim
Team HB

#82: Post by another_jim »

I don't think it is the nutation by itself, since I use it all the time and I get gradual blonding on most baskets and coffees. I do notice sudden blonding on ridgeless LM style baskets, both double and triple; so it could be a combination of leveling technique and basket.

Many people prefer sudden to slow blonding, since it gives a definite place to stop the shot.
Jim Schulman

runeo

#83: Post by runeo »

@another_jim
I do notice sudden blonding on ridgeless LM style baskets, both double and triple
Yes, a ridgeless Synesso 14g in a naked LM handle.
Thanks for the "bulls-eye" explanation. I prefer to feel very impressed. :)
/Rune

nixter

#84: Post by nixter »

Really? Nine pages dedicated to arguing about how to wiggle the tamper? How about we just tamp the $%&#ing espresso and move on?

Yes, I am kidding... slightly. I do enjoy the minutia as much as the next coffee nerd. :)

kmills

#85: Post by kmills »

I found an interesting resource on nutation, in the course documents of my graduate course in ballistics of all places:

Looks like there is more than one kind and that nutation can look like precession at times.

Bob_M

#86: Post by Bob_M »

Nixter, not to drift the thread but is that my old friend HAL in your profile

nixter

#87: Post by nixter »

Bob. What are you doing Bob?

another_jim
Team HB

#88: Post by another_jim »

kmills wrote:I found an interesting resource on nutation, in the course documents of my graduate course in ballistics of all places:

<image>

Looks like there is more than one kind and that nutation can look like precession at times.
Forget about nutation, I'm going with an epicyclic rosette tamp!
Jim Schulman

kmills

#89: Post by kmills »

Like I always say: Better nomenclature makes better coffee.

earlgrey_44

#90: Post by earlgrey_44 »

Bah! My hypocycloid beats your epicyclic every time!
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.