Note to Self: It's the Beans, Dummy!

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
JimWright

#1: Post by JimWright »

I got what I think were two consecutive g-d shots out of my MK7+Estro Profi this morning.

After first finishing some now-stale La Mill Black Pearl for the wife to get it out of the way (her fault, she left it in the hopper), I opened a new bag of the Barefoot Finca Vista Hermosa Edlyna, roasted on Tuesday. After an already great first shot, the second, slightly updosed double came out almost pure caramel but with hints of fruit, 85% crema, red with brown freckles, without even a hint of bitter or sour, pure deliciousness, no sugar required. And the third one was just as good. Damn. After three, I am still a little too wired two hours later or I would start making more, and these were without a doubt the equal of any shot I've had, anywhere.

How's that for making one question the decision to purchase a Synesso! (I have to learn to keep from babbling to the wife when I get great results out of the old equipment... though bless her, she'll still let me do it...) I guess the flip side is, could I have gotten even better?

In any case, there's a reminder for you - start with fresh beans and the right grind, and you can get truly great espresso even without perfect temp management...

Matthew Brinski

#2: Post by Matthew Brinski »

I think it's pretty bad ass that you're running a M7KR next to an Estro Profi while using good roasts. At least you have your priorities in line.

Matt

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
narc

#3: Post by narc »

JimWright wrote:I got what I think were two consecutive g-d shots out of my MK7+Estro Profi this morning.

How's that for making one question the decision to purchase a Synesso! (I have to learn to keep from babbling to the wife when I get great results out of the old equipment... though bless her, she'll still let me do it...) I guess the flip side is, could I have gotten even better?

In any case, there's a reminder for you - start with fresh beans and the right grind, and you can get truly great espresso even without perfect temp management...
If your goal is pulling great shots, sounds like you are there. No need for new hardware. Return the Synesso, take your wife on a vacation. Always balancing the new hardware vs. having some fun with the extra cash.

Noel

JimWright (original poster)

#4: Post by JimWright (original poster) »

Matthew Brinski wrote:I think it's pretty bad ass that you're running a M7KR next to an Estro Profi while using good roasts. At least you have your priorities in line.
LOL... Indeed, from reading the bulk of posts, I don't think that many people really take the "grinder first" thing to heart. I did and can testify that it's the right move. But, on the flip side, I was unable to duplicate yesterday's magic this morning, though one of my shots was still really good straight (no bitter or sour notes but more floral and less sweet).

I suppose I think temp management certainly is meaningful, esp. if you're aiming for something specific, but that it's possible to get very good results even without that precision if you have the other ingredients and forgiving beans.