Not pulling slow enough

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Momoe

#1: Post by Momoe »

Good evening everyone. I'm new to the site and looking for tips on getting better. My current setup is a saeco magic SIN 017 Espresso machine with the double shot basket and a Capresso #559 grinder. My current coffee I am using is a Caribou medium roast whole bean. I don't have access to fresh roasted just yet. I have tried a few other store brands but have not had much luck.

My issue is my shots are pulling too fast. I am pulling 2 2oz shots in 11 seconds. There isn't much creme to speak of and the shot tastes bitter or burnt. I have ground the beans on the finest setting my grinder allows and it seems consistent throughout and about the grain between table sugar and powdered sugar. I am using 16g of grounds in the portafilter and tamping to 30lbs of pressure. I have researched the machine and it says it produces between 13 and 15 bar of pressure. I have made sure I purged the machine and the water temp is not too high.

When I tried using a dark roast bean, the results were very bitter and not drinkable. I switched to a lighter roast thinking it was just my palate not liking the straight dark roast, but I am getting the same type of taste with the lighter roast. Bitter and somewhat burnt.

Could this be that my grinds are not fine enough? I cannot control the pressure the machine puts out so I am unsure how to adjust my setup to get the right pull.

Any help is appreciated.

Kelly

shanewiebeftr

#2: Post by shanewiebeftr replying to Momoe »

I'm pretty sure your grinder is the issue here. I also haven't had much luck with old store bought beans. Are you using a pressurized portafilter?

Advertisement
happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

Espresso suitable grinder is more in the range of $300+ than $50.

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/LIDO-E_c_31.html
https://www.baratza.com/product/sette-270-refurb/

With a pressurized portafilter you might get away with something a little less
LMWDP #603

Momoe (original poster)

#4: Post by Momoe (original poster) »

Yes, the porrafilter is a 53mm pressurized handle that comes with this machine. I get that grinders are much more expensive than the one I have. This one came with the machine so I was trying to make it work. I may look at getting a Breville dose pro. See if that fixes the problem

shanewiebeftr

#5: Post by shanewiebeftr »

The sette 30 would be cheaper than the 270(and better? Than the Breville) and if you're using a pressurized basket, you wouldn't need the extra adjustments that the 270 gives.

Edit:
Breville dose pro $179usd
Baratza Sette 30 $249 usd

Momoe (original poster)

#6: Post by Momoe (original poster) »

I see the 270 looks like its an amazing grinder but it's extending beyond the budget. What is wrong with the Breville dose pro? Meaning, what does it not do as far as grind consistency or fine grind ability? Not being defensive about it but looking for something affordable in my budget

DeGaulle

#7: Post by DeGaulle »

I don't have access to fresh roasted just yet. I have tried a few other store brands but have not had much luck.
I would say this is the first thing to solve. Then see how your setup performs and then worry about your grinder if shots still run too fast / taste bad.
Bert

Advertisement
HoldTheOnions

#8: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I second DeGaulle, need to work on your coffee. That said, Gail says your grinder should work fine with pressurized basket, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiAOpwfGiTU Is the grind finer than a drip grind on the finest setting? You can compare to store bought drip coffee if not sure. If not, then probably need a new grinder. If yes, then thinking the pressurized portafilter isn't working correctly. If you acquired it second hand, it may have even been depressurized by the previous owner.

If the fault is in the grinder, I can vouch both a Capresso Infinity and a Baratza Encore will work fine with a pressurized basket. IMO you don't need to spend more than that. You will get better coffee if you do spend more though. If you had a proper espresso grinder, then you could also depressurize the portafilter for best results. Never used it, but would wager the Breville is worth the extra money now if you think you will upgrade your espresso machine down the road, e.g Gaggia Classic.

Momoe (original poster)

#9: Post by Momoe (original poster) »

Just picked up some local roasted beans. Guy said they did them this morning. Having them grind half to espresso bring and leave the rest whole. I'll dial the machine in with theirs and then my grinder after. That's the plan anyway

I'll keep you all posted

dmw010

#10: Post by dmw010 »

Not to make this more complicated for you, but you may not get good results with beans roasted this morning. Most roasted coffee benefits from 2-3 days rest before brewing, some need a week or more.