Non-dairy Milk Alternatives

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
bluemanta

#1: Post by bluemanta »

Hi All,

I apologize if this topic was already discussed but I couldn't find anything so far.

We all know the great characteristics of milk both in flavor and consistency when frothing the milk for latte or other milky drinks.

When it comes to Non-dairy products, it looks like one or more characteristics are missing which makes it not so plausible option

So far I played with these alternatives and observed the following:

1. Coconut (by SO)
Closest to milk in texture and consistency. I was able to create latte art. However the coconut flavor masks the coffee and takes over the taste

2. Almond Milk (several)
Hard to impossible to froth. Taste horrible

3. Pea based milk (by Ripple)
Easy to froth and similar texture and consistency to regular milk. However, it collapses after poring and makes the drink look and feel freaky.
The taste is better when cold. Very strong after taste when hot.
I also tested their chocolate milk (cold) and it tasted very much like the dairy one with skim milk.

4. Soy
Froth very well and similar to regular milk. I was able to create latte art.
The taste is weird and masked the coffee taste.

I was wondering if anybody had better experience and if you can share some tips on how make the alternatives as close as possible to dairy milk

Thanks

Eyal

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by pizzaman383 »

I went through this search a couple of years ago.

I found the Pacific Foods Barista Series Original Almond Beverage worked well. It does have some flavor but it was compatible with coffee so I didn't find it to distract too much. I don't use this anymore because I've become sensitive to tree nuts.

I have settled on So Delicious Coconut Milk Coffee Creamer (now in a red carton) as a half-and-half substitute. I use So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Creamer Barista Style as a substitute for milk (now in a tan box). Note that these are two different products. I have to order the Barista Style online but I can typically find the other product locally.

The Simple Truth almond milk that is sold by Kroger in the southeast has the least almond taste of any I have found.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

We use the vanilla varieties of all our mooless milks. Kikoman soy is very good. The Pacific Foods "Soy Blenders" (iirc) I tried a number of years ago was also good. Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is the best almond milk I have tried and we have been using that for some time. These all stretch well and the vanilla and sweetness in all three is subtle.

Worst was Safeway "O" organics soy. Was basically white water with some kind of flavor.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

TxHr

#4: Post by TxHr »

I was just reading about Oats. Apparently, in Sweeden, Oat milk,is replacing Soy as the milk alternative of choice. I haven't seen it in the US yet, but it may be worth a try.

Brandon

Jared

#5: Post by Jared »

Randy G. wrote:We use the vanilla varieties of all our mooless milks. Kikoman soy is very good. The Pacific Foods "Soy Blenders" (iirc) I tried a number of years ago was also good. Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is the best almond milk I have tried and we have been using that for some time. These all stretch well and the vanilla and sweetness in all three is subtle.

Worst was Safeway "O" organics soy. Was basically white water with some kind of flavor.
Where do you buy the Kikkoman soymilk? It looks like my Wal-Mart doesn't carry it, but I wouldn't mind trying it if I am able to buy one carton instead of bulk. Thanks!

Ellejaycafe

#6: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Califia almond milk is the best out there in my opinion. Steams very well and taste great.
LMWDP #544

frank828

#7: Post by frank828 »

i've preferred and have been using califia original in the bowling pin bottles for years

Jared

#8: Post by Jared »

Ellejaycafe wrote:Califia almond milk is the best out there in my opinion. Steams very well and taste great.
Do you use the Original Almondmilk like Frank? I think I can get this stuff locally so I'll have to give it a shot.

Jared

#9: Post by Jared »

frank828 wrote:i've preferred and have been using califia original in the bowling pin bottles for years
Do you steam it or use it in its cold form?

FirstBetta

#10: Post by FirstBetta »

Of course, I don't know the reasons for using mooless milk in all of your cases. I'm lactose intolerant so I just use lactose free milk. I played with Silk milk alternative but didn't try it for more than 1/2 gal and don't remember results. Living in the rural SoCal high desert limits the alternatives available.