Non-dairy Milk Alternatives - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Ellejaycafe

#11: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Jared wrote:Do you use the Original Almondmilk like Frank? I think I can get this stuff locally so I'll have to give it a shot.
I've tried the "barista" version And actually prefer the original stuff you can get in the grocery store.
LMWDP #544

Jared

#12: Post by Jared replying to Ellejaycafe »

Thanks! I'll see what I can find when I go to the grocery store later.

Advertisement
Dogshot

#13: Post by Dogshot »

I use SoNice Barista Blend made specifically for use in espresso beverages to make cappuccinos for my wife. The beverages I make with it get uniformly high praise from guests; however, I never make more than a cappuccino so that the espresso has a chance to come through. A trick to texturing soy nicely is to not heat it quite as high as you would milk.
LMWDP #106

frank828

#14: Post by frank828 »

Jared wrote:Do you steam it or use it in its cold form?
both

Jared

#15: Post by Jared »

Califia Original tastes great. I just made a latte with it and my wife even liked it...and she is picky. There was a slight aftertaste, but it was pleasant one. Thank you for pointing me towards this brand!

bostonbuzz

#16: Post by bostonbuzz »

As you can see by the other posts, non-dairy milk varies considerable brand to brand. I have had Almond barista milk and not had it work well, while one store's own brand (I think Trader Joe's) worked VERY well at steaming. It's mostly miss with almond milk, but if you try ~5 of them I'm sure one will work. I expect the same to be true of the other milks (cashew, coconut, rice, etc.) but I haven't had the patience to try different brands of them all.
LMWDP #353

CoffeeBar

#17: Post by CoffeeBar »

I am trying this soy milk and found it taste better than almond milk :D

Advertisement
keno

#18: Post by keno »

I've tried a lot of non-dairy milks after I discovered that I'm allergic to milk - causes throat irritation and sinus congestion. But I still think real milk tastes the best.

Among the alternatives I find soy froths the best, but it can have a bitter taste and I don't want to consume it on a regular basis due to the potential risks associated with phytoestrogens.

Have been disappointed with most almond milks but have finally discovered one that works very well. Have been using Almond Breeze - Vanilla Unsweetened. It froths reasonably well and I've even been able to do a little latte art with it. Taste is very neutral. I add a tiny bit (half teaspoon) of sugar to a small pitcher (enough for two caps) and it really lets the coffee come through.

CoffeeBar

#19: Post by CoffeeBar »

keno wrote:I've tried a lot of non-dairy milks after I discovered that I'm allergic to milk - causes throats irritation and sinus congestion. But I still think real milk tastes the best.
This is so true Keno, I myself found the same thing happened in me( yes, I hate sinus congestion and running noise ) If you found milk ( UHT and Fresh milk not a real milk in my humble opinion ) coursed you allergic, try Raw milk instead.
keno wrote: Among the alternatives I find soy froths the best, but it can have a bitter taste and I don't want to consume it on a regular basis due to the potential risks associated with phytoestrogens.
I think of us may know or may not know the problem of phytoestroges ( Soy phytoestrogens are known to disrupt endocrine function ) Thank you keno for reminding us here again :D

Barb
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Barb »

Re:Phytoestrogens. Do some serious research. My understanding is you would have to drink gallons, daily, constantlyto be affected by estrogen. Don't think you lads need worry.

Back to Milk alternatives. In the US the Kirkland soy milk (plain) is made by the same company making SoyRich used in specialty coffee shops. You can't get it commercially. The Kirkland product is identical, delicious and froths very well. Tasty milk based coffee drinks