No distribution? No problem. - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JimG (original poster)

#11: Post by JimG (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:Are you using stock burrs or the Duraniums? I found I got much better results with the stock burrs.
I am using the stock burrs as well.

Jim

Marshall

#12: Post by Marshall »

JimG wrote:Anyone else made this "discovery?"
Yes. Discussed here: Is leveling off the coffee necessary?

As a follow-up I should add that I have also stopped leveling and distributing with my Cimbali grinder. Slowing down the thwack-thwack-thwack allows the coffee to drop down without throwing to the left. I usually rap the portafilter on the dosing fork about half way through the grind.
Marshall
Los Angeles

JimG (original poster)

#13: Post by JimG (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:Yes. Discussed here: Is leveling off the coffee necessary?
Oh ...... :oops:

zin1953

#14: Post by zin1953 »

JimG wrote:Anyone else made this "discovery?"
I, too, mostly use this technique -- both with my Cimbali Max Hybrid (thwak-and-tamp) and with my Mahlkönig K30 Vario (grind into pf-and-tamp) . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

JmanEspresso

#15: Post by JmanEspresso »

Yep, count me in.. I do the same. I used to do the WDT and "make" a mound just by my stirring action, then left off the cup, and tamp.

Now I dont use the yogurt cup, just some slower thwackage, a straight down tap of the PF on my tamping mat, and a straight down tamp, no twist/rap/polish.

One Thing I have noticed, however, is for me anyway, this doesnt work with a flat tamper. I get sidewall channeling and donuts extractions unless I use a convex tamper.

Grinder is a Mazzer Major. Works on my stock ridged E-61 double basket, and my ridgeless Synesso 14gr.

Oh, and for the triple basket, this doesnt work.. at least for me. For the triple, I WDT, and then tamp the mound I have created.. No leveling after stirring. Triple basket I use is the La Marzocco triple from Chris'.

JimG (original poster)

#16: Post by JimG (original poster) »

JmanEspresso wrote:One Thing I have noticed, however, is for me anyway, this doesnt work with a flat tamper. I get sidewall channeling and donuts extractions unless I use a convex tamper.
My tamper is flat, made by Greg Pullman, fitted to the double basket.

Jim

cannonfodder
Team HB

#17: Post by cannonfodder »

TimEggers wrote:Dave which grinder are you using? I've not had much luck with this (in the past) on my Super Jolly.
Cimbali Max
Dave Stephens

aindfan

#18: Post by aindfan »

JimG wrote:I watched the baristas at Ninth Street and Gimme pull great shots after no leveling of the coffee. They simply tamped the mounded coffee just as it came from the doser. No tapping, no Stockfleth, no Chicago chop, no nuttin'. Just grind, thwack, and tamp the mounded pile of coffee.
Do you know if the Gimme and Ninth Street baristas happened to be using a dosered Anfim at the time? I've asked a Gimme (Mott St.) barista about this. He said that because the timer is used to set the shot flow (grind size is not adjusted, only dose), touching the pile of grounds once out of the doser will defeat the purpose of the precise grinder setting as some of the coffee may end up on the counter and not in the basket (and to add to that, the Anfim doser works perfectly enough to make a pile that needs no distribution).
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203
PSA: Have you descaled lately?

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#19: Post by RapidCoffee »

aindfan wrote:Do you know if the Gimme and Ninth Street baristas happened to be using a dosered Anfim at the time?
Doserless Robur E and Super Jolly at Ninth Street in Chelsea Market.
Doserless Robur E and dosered Anfim at Gimme. Said they use the Anfim for milk drinks.
Two Roburs (one doserless) and a Super Jolly at Cafe Grumpy.

Gimme grinders
John