No Crema on New Espresso Machine/New Grinder - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BillF

#11: Post by BillF »

allemania wrote:Hi BillF.

Sounds to me like something is/was wrong with your Pro 500. I had mine for about a year ahnd generally speaking the group warms to a temp of 204 F within 45-50 minutes. Here's what I measured shortly after purchasing the machine:

Time (min) Temp (F)
0 77
10 140
20 187
30 200
40 201
50 204

Edit: When I posted the table above didn't scale correctly so just wanted to mention the first number on each line is the "time on", second number is the temperature of the group.

These temps are with the boiler cycling between 0.9 and 1.0 bar. I pull two shots every day (though I do steam milk between shots) and I've never had a problem keeping temps up. I'm guessing that's about 5 minutes in between shots.

Marcus
Hi Marcus,
Thanks for the reply.
My bar readings are about the, not the brew head though.
The temp on mine after 45 min. is mid 190's.
Probably my dissatisfaction with recovery time is pulling multiple shots trying to correct the previous one as a newbie :D
Anyway, Pro 700 arrives tomorrow!!
BillF

allemania

#12: Post by allemania »

Congrats!

From everything that I have read, you're going to love it. Although I believe I have mastered the temperature variations on the Pro 500, a dual boiler is definitely in my future. I think not having to worry about flushes will just make everything that much more enjoyable. Also, being able to adjust the temperature for different roasts would handy.

Be sure to keep us posted on what you think of your new machine since you can make a direct comparison to the Pro 500.

Marcus

BillF

#13: Post by BillF »

Xtianseel wrote:I upgraded about a week ago from a Breville machine, to a Ceado e37s grinder and Profitec 500 machine. I've had trouble getting a decent crema on my shots. I've read that it takes several pounds of coffee to properly break in the burrs, when they're new. It seems odd though that I wouldn't be getting a decent extraction.

Getting the same results from different beans. All respectable roasters - Blue Bottle, Verve and La Colombe single origin coffees, all roasted from 3-10 days to the point of brewing. The level of roast (light, dark etc.) is not specified, but they all appear to be on the lighter side.

18g for a double shot. I've dialed in the grind size to extract around 30g at 25-35 seconds. Shots appear and taste watery.

This doesn't seem like a machine issue, but no way of really knowing since both are new. Can anyone help?
So Xtiansell, it seems like my experience hopefully was an exception based on the post that allemania gave that showed much better temperatures than I was getting. Enjoy your new machine and pull some great shots!
BillF