Niche Zero workflow (dosing cup) - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Phip
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Phip »

I was never satisfied with the cup tipping into the portafilter. I got an Orphan Espresso funnel and grind straight into the naked portafilter. WDT. Stockfleth's maneuver. Tamp. And go. The funnel is easier than the cup with less mess and, it seems, fewer distribution issues.
Philip
LMWDP #687

MichaelW87

#12: Post by MichaelW87 »

For those that grind straight into the cup, do you hold it there or what portafilfer holder do you use?

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
pankrakes

#13: Post by pankrakes »

I tried it a few different ways and grinding directly into the PF definitely has fewer distribution issues. I just hold it underneath and rotate a bit to let it distribute, but I do have a funnel also.

Rice Bowl

#14: Post by Rice Bowl »

I tried using a Decent portafilter holder, tried rotating the portafilter with a funnel on it underneath the grind chute to get an even distribution, but ended up going back to just grinding into the dosing cup, WDTing in the cup, transferring to the portafilter, WDT again, tamp, pull. Might be a little more time consuming, but it seemed like the easiest way for me to do it.

rg60614

#15: Post by rg60614 »

Phip wrote:I was never satisfied with the cup tipping into the portafilter. I got an Orphan Espresso funnel and grind straight into the naked portafilter. WDT. Stockfleth's maneuver. Tamp. And go. The funnel is easier than the cup with less mess and, it seems, fewer distribution issues.
I've tried grinding straight in the portafilter with a funnel but it still goes all over my countertop. I went back to grinding in the cup, wdt, shaking it in the portafilter, wdt again, tamp and pull.

mathmorich

#16: Post by mathmorich »

rg60614 wrote: I've tried grinding straight in the portafilter with a funnel but it still goes all over my countertop. I went back to grinding in the cup, wdt, shaking it in the portafilter, wdt again, tamp and pull.
Same!! It was a disaster, I had to pull the vacuum out.
I tried without a funnel though, and I just ordered one; I hope this works.

Can someone explain how they stop the mess or conjecture why it makes a mess for some but not others?

To be honest, I'm looking for a solution with the dosing cup that gives great results. I feel like the dosing cup causes side channeling issues due to the gap it leaves around the grinds. Everyone here seems to be using WDT but is that really our only option? Perhaps if we could at least get the grinds falling naturally flat without shaking we would stand a chance.

I have tried tapping the basket on the counter (often with a slightly sideways direction) with very limited success. It pulls not-terrible to good shots. Nothing beats the shots with HEAVY WDT or straight into the basket.

cgibsong002

#17: Post by cgibsong002 »

I'm curious why people feel the need to grind directly in the PF if they are using WDT afterwards? Assuming significant wdt why would it matter?

I have been grinding into the cup, pouring into my 54mm portafilter with funnel, and then deep wdt with 9 needle tool. This workflow is super easy for me and I'm trying to understand how grinding directly into the pf would be any better? Only thing i can think of is no wdt or very light or rake only?

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
Jeff
Team HB

#18: Post by Jeff »

I grind directly into a bare basket with funnel. Using the cup would be an extra step that, for me, has no benefit I can see.

cgibsong002

#19: Post by cgibsong002 »

Gotcha, wasn't sure if there was any more technical reason. For now i like grinding into the cup, as i can do other things while the grinder goes, instead of having to hold the pf in place. Then i can just dump and go.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by mgwolf »

I've tried grinding straight in the portafilter with a funnel but it still goes all over my countertop. I went back to grinding in the cup, wdt, shaking it in the portafilter, wdt again, tamp and pull.
If you use a funnel (I use the Decent one) on the PF basket, it's simple to dump the grounds from the cup into the funnel/basket without touching it. No mess unless you hit something. I then WDT the grounds in the basket (with the funnel in place, please), then shake it to level, use the leveler, maybe a light tamp and done. Not messy. As was mentioned, if you grind in the cup, you can do something else while it's grinding.