Newbie question: Espresso settings for La Marzocco Linea Mini + Niche Zero

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Roverholics

#1: Post by Roverholics »

Gents and Ladies,

I am quite new at this hobby hence seeking some counsel to get better results. I am a proud owner of a new Linea Mini and did also acquire the Niche Zero and Acaia Pearl.

I plan to dedicate serious time tomorrow to review the espresso 101 techniques on our forum, but did want to ask a few basic questions:

1) I have changed the dial on my Niche for drip and now to get back to getting the best espresso shot what is the ideal setting/number to leverage? (I will be using freshly roasted beans on a weekly basis)

2) Is the magic equation with the Linea Mini 20g input of coffee and 40g espresso output in 25 seconds? If not, what are the ideal variables to get the home-barista approved shot?

3) What is the ideal temperature setting for the Linea Mini?

4) Any other tips I should take into consideration with the Linea Mini.

I am completely new at this, but am sincere about 'practice makes perfect' and will welcome counsel from you. Many thanks in advance for your time and input.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

If you're really a newbie, then this video series is meant for you: Newbie Introduction to Espresso. You can ask other owners what grind setting to use, but it's better to just learn how to dial in any grinder without help. To be honest, there's not much I can think of that's specific to a Linea Mini versus any other high-end espresso machine. You didn't mention your coffee, but I typically start around 201°F unless it's really dark (lower to 198) or really light (raise to 203). In addition to the Newbie series, How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste is a must read.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Roverholics (original poster)

#3: Post by Roverholics (original poster) »

Many thanks for weighing in. I get my coffee from: https://www.eastlickcoffee.com/webstore

Current bags in my rotation are Colombian and Peruvian. I will start to go through the links you have enclosed.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

One thing on a new grinder is that they typically need 2-10# of coffee through them before the burrs settle in. I used stale coffee from a local roaster.

On the Niche Zero, with my gear, two marks is a moderate change. Don't be afraid to split marks in half, or even thirds.

I'd also suggest 18 g to start, 17 g for medium-light and lighter coffees ("drip" roasts).