Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Taste Diagnosis [video]

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

This is the fourth installment of the series. Phillip returns for another lesson, this time on problem diagnosis by taste.
This video is longer than the preceding videos on Taste Appreciation, Barista Mechanics, and Grinders. The extra time was due to some extended discussion and a "bonus feature" section prompted by questions Phillip posed after the initial ending.

For reference, below are the two articles I mentioned during the video:
Although I consider these must-read references, I specifically refer to the pages entitled Better extraction, better espresso and Diagnosis of extraction problems.

For sake of completeness, below is a snapshot of the display I prepared for this exercise:

Walnuts, almonds, mushrooms, chocolate, blueberries, dried cranberries, grapes, apple, orange

In my morning rush, I neglected to include example spices like cinnamon, ginger, and rosemary on the display. Of course spices are an important descriptor; my only excuse for forgetting them is the early hour.
Dan Kehn

ECM

#2: Post by ECM »

In terms of using an older aged coffee I prefer to grind a bit finer rather then trying to up-dose, especially using a VST.

This seems to work for me.

Rob

jgoodman00

#3: Post by jgoodman00 »

Fantasic, informative videos.

I know numbers are largely irrelevant but what was the temperature change you made to produce the effect?

Thanks,

HB (original poster)
Admin

#4: Post by HB (original poster) »

Since I wanted to produce an unmistakeable shift in the taste profile, I dropped the brew temperature 20°F.
Dan Kehn

jerbear00

#5: Post by jerbear00 »

Great videos. Enjoy the thought process. Please keep it up

mathof

#6: Post by mathof »

I've been drinking a Rwanda Koakaka coffee from Londinium for the last couple of days. It has a powerful rich flavour, but finding it a bit earthy I decided to follow a tip in this video. In order to heighten the fruity (acidic) content, I dropped the temperature on the bell of my La Pavoni at which I raise the lever, from 82.5C to 81C, and sure enough the wanted change came along in the cup. Magic! Or, rather, chemistry!

HB (original poster)
Admin

#7: Post by HB (original poster) »

The fifth installment! Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Latte Art.

UPDATE: And the sixth installment, Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Consistency.
Dan Kehn