I'm pretty new to the game after getting a delonghi dedica ec685 espresso machine about a month ago. I'm enjoying learning the dark art of espresso and have been reading up and watching some advice vids over the weeks.
My machine only came with pressurized portafilters which I have been using up until a few days ago when I got this unpressurised basket:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07S7N ... UTF8&psc=1
Since getting the unpressurized my first impression is that the espresso tastes 'better'. Early days with dialing it in but here are my initial settings:
- 17g of ground coffee
- Finest grind setting on the grinder. It's not a very good one but is a burr grinder so went with finest - https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/H ... 0863382_EA
- I only have the crappy plastic tamper that comes with the machine so I am pressing down a decent amount to pack it in
- A double shot seems to take about 28 seconds from the first drip out of the machine to the end
So here are my uncertainties and questions:
- A big part of me trying the unpressurized basket was that I assumed I would get more crema after seeing shots in advice videos having almost half the height of the shot as crema. Before I was getting a little layer on top that would just about cover the top layer, and now I get pretty much none at all with the new basket. But like I say I think the taste of the shot is 'better'. Why would I be getting less crema with the unpressurized basket? And is no crema a sign that I am doing something wrong?
- Now that the new basket is only a double shot size, am I able to make a single espresso by just putting in half the amount of coffee in the basket so there is a big space on top and using the single dose button on the machine?
- I think I am right is assuming the ideal time (for a double?) espresso shot is between 25-30 seconds, so would it suggest I have got the settings (grind size / dose / tamping) in a pretty good spot if I like the taste of the shot and don't find it too bitter / sour?
Very open to any advice and observations! Thanks for your time if you read through the above