New user with single filter problem! - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mrgnomer

#11: Post by mrgnomer »

Single basket extractions are challenging for all the machines I've used from e61s to levers. I have found the smaller doses are less forgiving than doubles and need better puck preparation with 58mm groupheads. It takes practice to get consistently good extractions. Preinfusion could help keep the puck together and a lower pump pressure could help keep the extraction even.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

SCANNAMAIALI (original poster)

#12: Post by SCANNAMAIALI (original poster) »

I found this that could be useful for our case https://www.ilcaffeespressoitaliano.com ... ingle4147/

It can be found in Italian stores, I think I'll try it.

cafeIKE

#13: Post by cafeIKE »

Looks like it might be perfect.

mrgnomer

#14: Post by mrgnomer »

SCANNAMAIALI wrote:I found this that could be useful for our case https://www.ilcaffeespressoitaliano.com ... ingle4147/

It can be found in Italian stores, I think I'll try it.
That's the shape of the basket I use. Thanks to you I am doing single shots. They're not as easy as doubles. Getting the grind and dose balanced is a trick. The grind adjustment for a double makes the shot run fast for a single. It might be the basket but I will try a finer grind tomorrow and see if it extracts slower.
Kirk
LMWDP #116

#15: Post by SCANNAMAIALI (original poster) »

ok thanks, let me know. I also contacted the lelit who asked me to send him some videos. I just sent them, let's hope they answer me tomorrow.

stefano65
Sponsor

#16: Post by stefano65 »

We let the marketplace making an announcement as soon as we can get them here physically at our location.
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

#17: Post by SCANNAMAIALI (original poster) »

lelit advised me things I already knew. Increase the dose up to 10 grams, grind finer etc... Not much has changed. Even with the new filter I bought I didn't solve it. I'm frustrated because double comes with exceptional coffee. I can't throw a coffee every time I want one.

Jake_G
Team HB

#18: Post by Jake_G replying to SCANNAMAIALI »

Have you considered drinking both?

Singles are hard. But they are very good when you get them dialed in. For what it's worth, I really don't like the single basket you linked to. The puck is wedge-shaped and I just don't like the coffee it produces. I far prefer the LM single basket. I don't have a link to it for purchase in Italy, but it has a smaller diameter and makes a properly shaped puck, but it requires a smaller diameter tamper.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

#19: Post by SCANNAMAIALI (original poster) »

IMS Competitive Precision 1 Tazza Filtro Basket 7/9 gr - B70 1T H26.5 E https://amzn.eu/d/9tGY1M7

This. I have to decide whether to take it because it would be more money!

mrgnomer

#20: Post by mrgnomer »

Chasing good espresso is an equipment cost rabbit hole. Manufacturers seem to have caught on. There's a lot of expensive precision stuff out there. Some stuff I make myself.

Good baskets are always something to collect, though. I haven't tried the single basket you're looking at. The precision baskets I have tried are quality wise better than the stock but generally less forgiving. Once I got the grind and dosing dialed in the extraction is really good.
Kirk
LMWDP #116