New Non Dairy Alternative

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
doubleOsoul

Postby doubleOsoul » Apr 27, 2018, 11:38 am

I was asked about non dairy alternatives the other day and thought I would share here as well.

I have a lactose intolerant SO at home who thinks he's not - kind of like a kitten who thinks he's a panther. When dairy is not well tolerated, it creates a lot of inflammation that can evolve into deeper health issues down the road so its important to address it. What has resulted is a lot of experimenting over the years with non dairy options both from the store (what I call prefab) and made at home. The in home non dairy milks have been made with a Soyabella which does everything for you - grind, strain and foam (plus emulsify any healthy oils I might add such as an omega 3 or liquid sunflower lecithin for viscosity). I ended up with a better finished product than what my Vitamin could provide.

I used to steam pure cashew milk which I liked a lot - in fact I liked it a little better than straight almond. Sometime I would make almond/cashew blend and that was nice too. Nice but not quite there mostly because the texture didn't cut it for me. Then I went to the SF Veg Fest last spring and had my nondairy world rocked. No texture or flavor sacrifice. None.

I use ripple half and half (they have regular Ripple too) for some of my gibraltar drinks . The SO uses it for all his capps. Plus it is mmm good in black tea and of particular note, chai. Sprouts carries it in all their locations and often has a sale on it. It has DHA in it which is fantastic for brain health and oddly enough inflammation.

Note: I have made multiple attempts to post a pic of Ripple but it keeps freezing my computer.
Ways to win my heart:buy me coffee, make coffee, be coffee LMWDP #354

jchung

Postby jchung » Apr 27, 2018, 12:03 pm

https://www.ripplefoods.com/original-half-and-half/

Is this the Ripple that you use? Does your SO use the half and half for the caps? or the regular? Does it froth as well as regular whole milk?

thanks!

doubleOsoul

Postby doubleOsoul » Apr 27, 2018, 12:12 pm

Sure is. Yes, he does sometimes use the half and half for a luxurious short breve treat. We also use regular Ripple, both which foam up pretty well on the proviso that your latte art skills aren't too shabby.

jchung

Postby jchung » Apr 27, 2018, 12:14 pm

Thanks! I guess time to see if I can find it in the area to try out.

yakster

Postby yakster » Apr 27, 2018, 12:41 pm

I might have to try the unsweetened for my wife as an alternative to almond milk.

Thanks for posting this, Cher.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » Apr 27, 2018, 5:26 pm

doubleOsoul wrote:I was asked about non dairy alternatives the other day and thought I would share here as well.

I have a lactose intolerant SO at home who thinks he's not - kind of like a kitten who thinks he's a panther. When dairy is not well tolerated, it creates a lot of inflammation that can evolve into deeper health issues down the road so its important to address it. What has resulted is a lot of experimenting over the years with non dairy options both from the store (what I call prefab) and made at home. The in home non dairy milks have been made with a Soyabella which does everything for you - grind, strain and foam (plus emulsify any healthy oils I might add such as an omega 3 or liquid sunflower lecithin for viscosity). I ended up with a better finished product than what my Vitamin could provide.

I used to steam pure cashew milk which I liked a lot - in fact I liked it a little better than straight almond. Sometime I would make almond/cashew blend and that was nice too. Nice but not quite there mostly because the texture didn't cut it for me. Then I went to the SF Veg Fest last spring and had my nondairy world rocked. No texture or flavor sacrifice. None.

I use ripple half and half (they have regular Ripple too) for some of my gibraltar drinks . The SO uses it for all his capps. Plus it is mmm good in black tea and of particular note, chai. Sprouts carries it in all their locations and often has a sale on it. It has DHA in it which is fantastic for brain health and oddly enough inflammation.

Note: I have made multiple attempts to post a pic of Ripple but it keeps freezing my computer.

Hi
What would be the closest thing it would taste like? (example cashew milk)

Thank you!

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

CwD

Postby CwD » Apr 27, 2018, 5:35 pm

I don't do milk+coffee drinks, but just wanted to chime in that Ripple's chocolate milk on its own is the only non-dairy one I've tried that I can use as a 1:1 replacement for dairy instead of it just treating it like a different drink.

doubleOsoul

Postby doubleOsoul » Apr 27, 2018, 10:57 pm

slipchuck wrote:Hi
What would be the closest thing it would taste like? (example cashew milk)

Thank you!

Randy

Hey Randy, Hard to describe: it is made from pea protein so very neutral in taste which is why I found it great in drinks! P.S. Is neutral a taste? lol

doubleOsoul

Postby doubleOsoul » Apr 27, 2018, 11:04 pm

CwD wrote:I don't do milk+coffee drinks, but just wanted to chime in that Ripple's chocolate milk on its own is the only non-dairy one I've tried that I can use as a 1:1 replacement for dairy instead of it just treating it like a different drink.

I bought a bottle of the chocolate Ripple in Grocery Outlet a few weeks back. Let me tell you, it has been a long time since I had cold chocolate milk like back on the days when I was living the prairie life in Alberta and candy was .25 a pop. That cold Ripple chocolate milk had me hooked. Dayum good.

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » May 02, 2018, 8:06 am

Hmmm trying Ripple regular this am and I gotta say its pretty damn good. Compared to whole milk in 8oz you go from 5 to .5 grams of saturated fat. That's the rough equivalent of 78 9oz steaks a years if you consume 2 4oz cappuccinos a day. So for someone trying to keep heart and other disease away it's worth trying to see if you like it. I think it better than going the 1% milk or 2% milk route especially with the sat fat reductions.

Here's the line up they have -