Need hints on using E61 thermocouple adapter - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
erics
Supporter ★

#21: Post by erics »

For Elan - I don't think you need to splice in to the insty HW htr. Don't forget that there is loads of water at near room temp in the line between your accumulator and Mr. V.

For Anthony - Anita/Andreja are COMPLETELY different than Vetrano from the standpoint of what happens to the "backflush" water. More later on this - but what counts, the only thing that counts, is that you are enjoying what you are making.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

erics
Supporter ★

#22: Post by erics »

The difference between Anita/Andreja and Vetrano is this:

When you backflush with Anita/Andreja, all of the water that the pump puts out AFTER it "fills the group" & reaches OPV pressure passes THROUGH the hx, through the OPV and back to the tank.

When you backflush with Vetrano or any other E61 hx machine, the pump "fills the group" & then water either recirculates within the pump (Vetrano & any other rotary pump machine) or heads back to the tank (Vibiemme, Giotto, Expobar, etc., etc.). There is ZERO flow at this point through the hx.
Skål,

Eric S.

RegulatorJohnson

#23: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

HB wrote: Jon's "blind flush" is forcing the water to rapidly circulate, thereby equalizing the system's thermal balance without expending water. Neat idea, Jon!
i dont know what is happening exactly but it seems to work. i guess different configurations will act differently.

i recently got one of the black dial probes that chris sells for eric. it is much faster than the omega HTTC probe i was using with the fluke 561. it has changed my style again. i still do the simulated shot. my pstat is pretty low probably .9 - 1.1 bar but still get hell-ified steam with stock tip.

glad this works for you guys! keep me informed.

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

erics
Supporter ★

#24: Post by erics »

Pulling multiple shots with Anita - she has a slight leak on her vacuum breaker valve but that will be attended to soon. Although pstat was set at 1.20 bar, I had been playing a little and group temp always takes a looong time to get back to 212.5 so beginning group temp was 211 +/- for the initial (and only) flush. Putting the pstat at 1.25 or 1.30 would also reduce the shot interval.

The first shot obviously caught the outlier bug from Idaho :)
Skål,

Eric S.

RegulatorJohnson

#25: Post by RegulatorJohnson »

here are some videos.

vetrano backflush cooling - style 1
2 ounce flush and 2 consecutive backflushes.
vetrano backflush cooling - style 2
2 ounce flush and 1 backflush.
vetrano backflush cooling - style 3
2- short flushes and 1 backflush
i kind of like the PF cam view. as you can see the style can vary and i hope you have fun experimenting.

enjoy some coffee.

jon
2012 BGA SW region rep. Roaster@cognoscenti LA

HB
Admin

#26: Post by HB »

RegulatorJohnson wrote:i kind of like the PF cam view. as you can see the style can vary and i hope you have fun experimenting.
Fantastic! I was surprised you knocked out the puck of the "portafilter cam" attached. FWIW, I use a bottomless portafilter and drop in the basket, which makes for a less interesting portafilter viewpoint...
Dan Kehn

jgriff

#27: Post by jgriff »

Portafilter cam=Awesome! I love the view. Not only can you see what's going on with the basket and puck preparation, but it's entertaining as you point it at the clock or we catch a glimpse of the dog! Just curious, what type of camera are you using for that? I know next to nothing about photo/video gear, but I was just curious if it might be one of those mini cameras designed to shoot mountain biking videos and such, especially where you're in SLC.

Justin

IMAWriter

#28: Post by IMAWriter »

Beautiful video's...I just purchased Erics device from Chris...Eric has helped me tons to figure out what's going on...and has posted all the great HB links such as this one....ya gotta love our coffee community!

TimEggers

#29: Post by TimEggers »

That portafilter cam is darned cool. Thanks for the movies too its convinced me to ask Santa for the adaptor for my Anita. Thanks to all in this discussion as well.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

jeffg

#30: Post by jeffg »

HB wrote:I tried this technique on the Vibiemme Domobar Super and it works very well!
Hi, can you describe what readings you got? My thermometer reads up to 215 on the first flush (boiler is set at like 1), i then stop when it hits about 210, then backflush down to 204 or so but i think i'm still pulling too hot as the pre-infusion reads like 208 then rapidly goes to 205 down to 203 during the shot. Would love to see some videos of you grinding, dosing, tamping and pulling on the domobar and with the thermometer as it's what I have and am still learning. :)