Need help with creative/flavor drinks

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JP2019

#1: Post by JP2019 »

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with creative drinks lately (mostly mixed lattes) and have been running into a road block. Creative drinks like peppermint mocha, caramel latte, mocha latte, cafe con leche, etc.

The issue I have is understanding how to reach a hot enough temperature to help with the melting of sugar/chocolate/caramel etc. I've been making most of my latte and cappuccino drinks around 199-201 degree mark as I like to prioritize the espresso flavor, but it doesn't seem to be helping/working for these mixed drinks. Do you guys typically over heat the milk to compensate? Or raise the temp of the espresso and sacrifice the flavor?

Thanks in advance.

Entreri

#2: Post by Entreri »

How about heating a small portion of the milk separately to melt/incorporate the sugar and flavorings, add it to the espresso, and then top up the rest with steamed milk?

tennisman03110

#3: Post by tennisman03110 »

You can (I'd say should) be making a simple syrup, or other flavored syrup, and add this to your drinks.

Once sugar is dissolved in a hot liquid, i.e. water, you should not have to worry about heating this again.

SandraF

#4: Post by SandraF »

I have sugar free syrups in Vanilla & Hazelnut that I use sparingly. I've tried cocoa powder in the steamed milk & it was not good. I probably need to mix the cocoa powder in hot water 1st & work to dissolve it better, then mix with milk. Sugar free liquid chocolate syrup in horrible and I highly recommend you avoid it.

I'm interested in what others are doing for "flavorings" added to coffee.

MNate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by MNate »

Some things that are steeped work well- like lavender. If the lavender is strong enough (or you use enough), you can just put it in while you steam the milk and then strain it before pouring your latte art. Otherwise taking a bit of it and let it steep a few minutes in hot milk works well.

Some coffee shops, like 5 Watt near me, like to do a lot of combinations in their drinks.

http://fivewattcoffee.com/menu

DonSWG may have more insight without giving away trade secrets.

NicoNYC

#6: Post by NicoNYC »

Entreri wrote:How about heating a small portion of the milk separately to melt/incorporate the sugar and flavorings, add it to the espresso, and then top up the rest with steamed milk?
This is basically the technique that's taught for flavoring pastry creams, custards, whipped creams, etc. with anything that isn't already an extract. Things like melting chocolate first into a bit of heavy cream, or simmering milk with vanilla pods, lavender, or citrus zest, heck, I've even started simmering bacon in the cream that will go into a quiche filling (maybe don't try that one for coffee!)
LMWDP #718

tennisman03110

#7: Post by tennisman03110 »

You can make a chocolate simple syrup, simply by adding cocoa powder along with sugar and water. Or even add fresh mint leaves, and strain out.

Just a few examples -- it's pretty flexible, but I find getting flavor concentrated and into a syrup form is best.

harrisonpatm

#8: Post by harrisonpatm »

NicoNYC wrote:This is basically the technique that's taught for flavoring pastry creams, custards, whipped creams, etc. with anything that isn't already an extract. Things like melting chocolate first into a bit of heavy cream, or simmering milk with vanilla pods, lavender, or citrus zest, heck, I've even started simmering bacon in the cream that will go into a quiche filling (maybe don't try that one for coffee!)
My suggestion to this thread was going to be maple syrup mixed into either the milk or the shot. Then after pouring the milk, sprinkle sparingly with coarse/flake sea salt. Great combination.

Then I saw the bacon cream suggestion. Why not try it with coffee? Add the maple to that too, that should be good.

If anybody is interested, I tried Hoffman's suggestion for Krispy Kreme latte, and while it worked, it was far too strongly flavored. I felt like I had eaten three donuts after a single cappuccino. The concept worked much better when I made ice cream base steeped in the donuts, then after the ice cream was churned, I made affogatos.

Plinyyounger

#9: Post by Plinyyounger »

One of my fav lattes is the use of Ghirardelli white chocolate sauce. You only need about one teaspoon of flavoring to get a great drink.

Now I will prob get killed for this, but I add the small amount of syrup to the bottom of my milk jug prior to steaming. Some may say this will cause issues with the wand, or other issues. I have been doing this for years, never harmed the wand, never seen any sanitary issues inside the wand at all, ever.

It's my house drink and the one most friends and family ask for again and again, expect my son bless his heart, he drinks a strong flat white (that's my boy!).
Bought a Max, used a Max, then sold the Max. We are splitting hairs.