Naked portafilter mess

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
ifeghali

#1: Post by ifeghali »

hello everyone,

I decided to go with a naked portafilter but I can't get it to work properly. I get a few secondary tiny jet streams to the sides that makes a mess everywhere. Machine is a Breville Express Pro. I guess it must be something with distribution and/or tamping, but is it supposed to be that hard to get 100% right ? Have been tried for days now and couldn't get one beautiful centered flow not a single time.

thanks for any tips

GorchT

#2: Post by GorchT »

I hope you got fresh beans 2-12 weeks after roasting is a good window for making espresso. If you try it with supermarket beans it won't work. Otherwise try WDT as a technique to better distribute the coffee. If you try really light roasts try something darker.

ifeghali (original poster)

#3: Post by ifeghali (original poster) »

just to clarify a few things:

I do get one single centered jet stream most of the time. it just happens to have other secondary very small streams that last for a few seconds, a few times.

Tools i'm using:
- no WDT tool
- distributor from ali express
- Original tamper from breville
- both breville basket and the one that came with portafilter (same results)

#4: Post by ifeghali (original poster) »

GorchT wrote:I hope you got fresh beans 2-12 weeks after roasting is a good window for making espresso. If you try it with supermarket beans it won't work. Otherwise try WDT as a technique to better distribute the coffee. If you try really light roasts try something darker.
no supermarket beans. i'm using tiger espresso beans, dark roast. it's 4 months old though. i just wanted to make sure i am mastering everything it takes before getting new beans. maybe get WDT tool and try again ?

thanks for your answer !

GorchT

#5: Post by GorchT »

You can try but old beans can be the issue itself. I don't know this beans so maybe before getting a WDT get fresh beans and try it again. It sounds like channeling issues and these are typical for too old beans.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

ifeghali wrote:i'm using tiger espresso beans, dark roast. it's 4 months old though... maybe get WDT tool and try again ?
It could be very challenging to prevent 4 month old dark coffee from channeling like crazy. Coffee between 1-2 weeks would be much, much easier. As for a "WDT tool", anything will do. The inventor of the method, John Weiss, used a cutoff yogurt cup and dissection needle:

From Improve your Espresso with Weiss Distribution Technique

He may well still be using one. :) If you want to get fancier, search on DIY WDT tool. For example:

Dan Kehn

AGramata

#7: Post by AGramata »

Adding WDT to your puck prep might be the first thing to try. Creating your own with a cork and needles will work, you certainly don't need to spend a lot of money on one. You can even use a paperclip to stir or even out your coffee in a pinch. That's certainly better than nothing.

The age of your beans could also be the problem as others have noted. Just make sure you change one thing at a time when you are troubleshooting. Don't change beans AND start using WDT, for example.

#8: Post by ifeghali (original poster) »

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Made my own WDT.

So, new beans arrived this morning (10 days old roast). Also using the WDT now. No luck:

https://imgur.com/a/hGhhzhv

luckydragon

#9: Post by luckydragon »

1. Work on your WDT technique

2. Shot looks like it's pulling really fast; you should grind finer

#10: Post by ifeghali (original poster) replying to luckydragon »

1. thanks for the video. i'm watching it. no chance something is wrong with my head and/or basket ?

2. yes it is really fast. less than 20 seconds I guess. but grinder is already at lowest setting don't know what else to do. using 18g on genuine basket, double shot single wall. went up to 20g but didn't help much.