My shot doesn't stop when I stop the pump.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
jmr

Postby jmr » Mar 03, 2019, 5:27 pm

I grind and tamp to what I believe is appropriate. Using 18 grams so going for 36 out. I have tested with no portafilter, and when I turn the lever and the pump stops, no more than a few drops of water come through the screen. However...

When I start the shot, it takes 8 or 9 seconds for the beautiful dark streams to come out of the double spouted pf. It gets blond as it should and then hits about 36 grams at around 25 to 27 seconds, and I turn the lever to stop the pump. At this point I want nothing more in my cup, but another 8 to 10 grams still comes out instead of it just stopping.

Can someone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Devin H

Postby Devin H » Mar 03, 2019, 5:35 pm

That sounds right. When you have the portafilter with coffee attached, pressure builds up. When you stop the pump there is still significant pressure and water left in the coffee bed and portafilter so it's gotta go somewhere. You can either pull your cup from under the group or cut your pump early.

Coffcarl

Postby Coffcarl » Mar 03, 2019, 6:31 pm

Even with a three way valve? The pressure on my my machine drops right away, and I get about 2 grams more after i turn off the switch.

I would check the operation of the three way valve.

Sideshow

Postby Sideshow » Mar 04, 2019, 10:45 am

Just move your cup out of the way.

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Mar 04, 2019, 11:22 am

8-9g is A LOT. Spouted PF? I cut the pump 2g early with a bottomless to hit my target.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

Postby Nunas » Mar 04, 2019, 12:20 pm

That's an e61 group machine, right? Are you throwing the lever completely to the down position, or only to the mid position? If you throw it to the mid position, coffee will come out until all the pressure is gone; this can easily be quite a lot. If you throw it to the fully down position the e61 should immediately depressurise (you'll see a spurt come out of the bottom into the drain pan), and any remaining coffee dripping out will be slight. If this is not happening, then you probably need to have your e16 group rebuilt. Kits are easy to come by and the work is fairly easy for a talented amateur.

jmr

Postby jmr » replying to Nunas » Mar 04, 2019, 5:40 pm

Yes, it's an E61. I immediately put it fully down. The spurt comes out the bottom an I THOUGHT it correctly depressurized, but too much coffee still drips out. I did recently replace some worn out valves because it was leaking (at 10 years old). Guess I will disassemble again and see what I can find.

I did some more testing, and your diagnosis is spot on. Water comes out the bottom, but not fast enough and doesn't release the pressure. Time to get out the wrenches...

mrjag

Postby mrjag » Mar 05, 2019, 12:44 am

I average about 3-4g of liquid after I kill my shot, but it really depends on how fast the flow was when I stop it.

mammamia

Postby mammamia » Mar 05, 2019, 8:20 am

Looks like it is time to move onto a bottomless portafilter. I got 1-2 extra gram of coffee after pulling down lever. Also easy to clean and have more cup clearance. :)

Moka 1 Cup

Postby Moka 1 Cup » replying to mammamia » Mar 15, 2019, 9:57 am

I Agree with Ethan.
I drink single shot espresso and the additional water I was getting at the end of the shot was really bothering me sometimes.
I purchased a bottomless portafilter to check the quality of my tamping and the puck, but then I discovered that it had the beneficial effect of solving that problem too.
At this point I assume the additional water coming out of the portafilter was just the one between the filter and the spouts.
four minutes to make an espresso? really?